iTunes no longer deleting a music file from my Mac when I delete from library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Caralvarez24, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Caralvarez24 macrumors regular

When I used to delete a song from my iTunes library it would ask me if I wanted to also remove it completely from my computer. Now it no longer does and I cannot find a option to get that back. Can someone tell me where I can get iTunes to do this again?

2. Caralvarez24 thread starter macrumors regular

3. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

I would personally use AppCleaner to entirely wipe iTunes off the computer and then just install it again. You would have to redo all the settings, but at least that might work. Key word, might.

Just make sure you LOOK at your Trash before you Empty it, because there may be something in there that you didn't want to Delete - just to be on the safe side. Odds are there shouldn't be, but you never know.

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Go into iTunes Preferences and click on Advanced.

Near the middle you will see "Reset all Dialog Boxes."

I'm not sure if that will do it but that would be my logical guess. Try it out and report back.

5. tonmischa macrumors newbie

iTunes will only ask you to delete the song from your hard drive when this particular song is inside your designated "iTunes Media" folder (iTunes Preferences --> Advanced --> iTunes Media folder location).
    If the song is not inside this "iTunes Media" folder, it will only tell you that the song you are trying to delete will also be removed from all your iPhones and iPods. You will then have to search the file and delete it yourself.

TIP: CTRL-click on the song you are trying to delete, choose "Show in Finder". Delete from iTunes, then delete the file.

6. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

You're sure you're deleting from the main library not from a playlist?

(2 of my own gripes:
    - WHY can't I delete (trash) (remove completely) I song I don't like when I'm looking at it in a playlist? and
    - when I do try to delete a song from the library, WHY do I get asked each time if I'd like to 'delete the file from the iTunes library but leave it lying around somewhere in the depths of the iTunes Music folder, unindexed' - what good would that do me or anyone?)