iTunes - No Longer Required to Authorize to Play?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jabrowntx, Jan 17, 2009.

1. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

I just went to the iTunes store and deauthorized the 5 computers authorized to use/listen to my purchased music. I started clicking random purchased music (from iTunes, most of which is DRM'd) thinking that iTunes would prompt me to authorize my machine- it didn't.

I closed iTunes and tried again, I was still able to play all of the randomly selected purchased tunes. I went to my daughter's machine and was able to play purchased tunes.

Is Apple no longer checking for authorized? Has anyone else deauthorized their machine since Apple went "DRM free"?

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

I keep it "Authorized" for the account purposes and only use on computer for it, no reason to remove it. And, even though the DRM isn't part of the music, Your email is still embedded in it so if you "share" your music, they can trace the songs. :rolleyes:

3. jabrowntx thread starter macrumors 6502

I realize that the songs are tagged. I was just making an observation that I no longer needed to authorize my machine as I had in the past and if anyone else had noticed.

4. AZ-GT macrumors member

Since DRM isn't required I believe Apple has done away with the authorization scheme.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The "Deauthorise All Computers" button just resets your counter, it doesn't remove the DRM keys from the computers. If you deauthorise from the Store menu then you'll need to reauthorise in order to play your music.

6. jabrowntx thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I'm trying to say -- I've deauthorized all of my computers and I am still able to play my DRM'd music and I haven't had to re-authorize

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You've (unknowingly?) given conflicting information :)

In your first post you said that you "went to the iTunes store and deauthorized the 5 computers". If I'm understanding that correctly, then you logged into your account and pressed the button on your account page to deauthorise all computers.

My post is about using the Store menu (from your iTunes menu bar, go to Store > Deauthorise Computer).

Which of these (or both?) are you using? They do different things :)

8. jabrowntx thread starter macrumors 6502

That's quite possible :)

Yes, I deauthorized from the iTunes store but I did not go to each computer and "deauthorize computer". I guess the real test comes when I get my wife's Windoze computer back up and running (failed SP3 install borked the whole thing and causing me to have to deauthorize computers from iTunes -- I had to remove the HD and put it in one of my external carriers to get her data) and try to play DRM'd songs on it. Maybe the other two computers I've tried still have some kind of "token" allowing me to play without reauthorizing?

9. Vip macrumors regular

Vip

Hmmm

Does that mean then that you could go to Itunes store and deauthorize all accounts and then if you already have 5 computers authorised, you can now authorise more computers, on the basis that Apple are not checking authorisation but the Itunes app will check?

so in effect removing the 5 computer limit ... I just wonder.

10. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

A few days ago I went to play a protected AAC (DRM'd) song and it prompted me to authorize my computer which I haven't deauthorized in 2 years. But that's no the weird thing, I couldn't play the song that was protected like you could. Is there an iTunes 8.0.3 or 8.1 that I don't know about? I then proceeded to play a purchased AAC (not DRM'd) and it obviously played on my deauthorized computer. BTW, does anyone know why Apple hasn't released an update of dictionary including the word deauthorize? It's kind of weird that they use that word in one of their biggest apps and it's not even in their dictionary!

David

11. Resist macrumors 68030

Is there a way to find out which devices are authorized? One of our computers shows 4 authorizations but we can't remember which devices they were for.