iTunes no longer sees devices via WiFi

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Phrasikleia, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

My devices used to appear under the "DEVICES" section in iTunes automatically every time I launched iTunes on my Mac. I could access them via WiFi at any time. Then one day both devices stopped appearing, and I have no idea why. I can get them to show up if I connect either one of them with a USB cable, but the usual WiFi connection is not working. I haven't changed anything on my devices or on the computer, as far as I know.

Details:

• Devices are an iPad 3 and an iPod touch 4th gen, both running iOS 5.
    • Computer is a MacMini running OSX Lion 10.7.4.
    • iTunes version is 10.6.3
    • Both devices have the option checked to sync over WiFi
    • The Mac and both devices are otherwise able to use WiFi for web surfing, etc.

Any ideas?

2. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

3. Tridztan macrumors member

Been having the same problem with my iPad and iPhone 4s for a while now. Both devices appear, and then disappear when I start to sync with the error message " iTunes searching for devices". Both will only sync with the USB cable.

Sorry I haven't been of help.

4. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I wasn't getting any error messages, so I think you must have a different problem.

Anyway, for anyone else who may stumble upon this thread, I've solved the problem. I was using a VPN connection, and that (for whatever reason) caused iTunes and my devices to stop communicating over WiFi. If I quit the VPN connection, everything works as it should.

5. Madd the Sane macrumors 6502a

Madd the Sane

When my Mac mini can't find my iPad on wi-fi, I turn off the mini's wifi, then turn it back on. It finds it after that.