iTunes non-musical ringtones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DaffyDuck, Jan 27, 2008.

1. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

I'm not a big fan of ringtones made from songs. Are there any non-musical ringtones available to purchase on iTunes? I looked around for a bit and couldn't find any.

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Unfortunately there aren't any at iTunes but Rogue Amoeba has a great free utility for making them called MakeiPhoneRingtone.

3. servo-15 macrumors newbie

That's a useful utility. Does anyone have anyideas where I could source a non-musical ringtone. I don't like ones which are songs and I'm starting to get embarrased by my 24 "ctu" ringtone :eek:

4. scr1968 macrumors regular

Note that if you have access to the latest version of GarageBand that you can make your own ringtones and send them to your iPhone very easily. So music, non-music, audio from a movie, whatever you want. If you can get it into GarageBand you can get it onto your iPhone.

SCR

5. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

Is Garageband only available for Macs?

6. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

I am with you guys about the musical ringtones. I have a few but rarely use them. I have a friend at work that has a different ringtone for everyone in his phone and they go off when he texts. Its like a really bad DJ sometimes at work.

7. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

One more vote here for hating musical ringtones.

8. grey580 macrumors newbie

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Not only that, Garage Band has several sound effects built into its library. Not a lot, but it's a start.

And to whoever asked, yes, Mac only.

10. servo-15 macrumors newbie

The problem is finding a source (in whatever format) of these non-musical tones. I'm sure I can convert them into m4r's, but I don' know where to look for them in the first place..:confused:

11. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

Yes, and it comes free on new macs.

12. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

Dang! I really need a MBP, now where to get the $2K to upgrade. :confused: :rolleyes:

13. Hecklerdanny macrumors 6502

Hecklerdanny

While I don't mind musical ringtones too much, Apple doesn't give us a whole lot of choice as far as built in ringtones on the phone. A car horn, a dog barking, crickets?!?!? What were they thinking? Like I want to hear my alarm clock going off every time someone calls me...Luckily I like the "Marimba" tone enough to use it.