iTunes not accepting some mp3 files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SkepticSon, Jan 7, 2009.

1. SkepticSon macrumors newbie

I have several mp3 files that are not being accepted in iTunes, and consequently in my iPod Classic. It says that those type of files cannot be played on iTunes. However, I already had those files previously on my iPod, when I accidentally deleted them, and later uninstalled iTunes for a while if I'm not mistaken. Now when I try to put the files back, the problem appears.

I thought the files might have got corrupted, but they play normally on RealPlayer, WMP and even on Quicktime.

Now I know most people here are totally against piracy, so I should say the songs in question are not illegal. The album is "In Rainbows" from Radiohead, and I bought them from the official site, back when it was released and you could pay any price you wished. Also, it's not the whole album that shows this problem, only a few.

Thanks in advance!

2. 111matt111 macrumors newbie

yah

this is happening to me to the mp3 files that i torrented except 3 will open in cog which is a light weight media player but won't open in itunes1

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

They might be corrupted, can you download them again or restore them from an older backup?

4. Trainwreck707 macrumors member

I have had a few mp3s that would not work in iTunes as well. I downloaded MP3 Scan+Repair and it fixed all of the files.

MP3 Scan+Repair

5. dropkickmurphys macrumors newbie

For PC, you can use MP3 Validator to get the same results. There also exists a feature that will automatically back up your files before repairing them.

6. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

sometimes, some mp3's that you...obtain...could contain a virus, these are more noticeable when itunes will not load the files. I can, and have been wrong in the past though. This is just something to think about.