iTunes not authorized but can still play tunes purchases

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chipandegg, May 22, 2009.

1. chipandegg macrumors regular

chipandegg

I use itunes loads and buy tunes from there.

Though I noticed today that when I click Store it says Authorize Computer and below that Deauthorize Computer.

To quote the itunes help

"To play purchases from the iTunes Store, you must authorize your computer using your iTunes Store account and password. (Authorization helps protect the copyrights of the purchased items.)"

My purchases from the itunes store play fine there is no problem with them. Though I thought it would be authorized anyway (the font might be grayed out to let you know it is authorized) Does me having my itunes store account and password authorize it in some fashion. Regardless of the the option the Store menu?

Is my mac authorized then?

Confused

Thanks!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. chipandegg thread starter macrumors regular

chipandegg

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You only have to authorise the computer once, and it happens automatically when you purchase music. In addition, the majority of the songs on iTunes now have no copy protection so you can play them even if your computer is not authorised.

5. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

iTunes Plus files will play regardless if the computer is authorized or not.

As far as your computer being authorized, when you created your account and logged in the first time it authorized that computer.

Drat, Nermal beat me to it. :p