Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
Ok, so I bought an mp3 and although the file plays in QuickTime or other media programs, the mp3 will not add itself into iTunes or even play it on either a Mac or PC. I've attached my settings (Windows...but my Mac settings in iTunes are the same) and I don't know what's wrong with this file. If somebody could help me out that'd be great or if I could send the file to someone and they could try it out that might help more.

It's frustrating because it's just an mp3 file (from everything I gathered from the meta tags/information) and I've never had any trouble adding files into iTunes by just double clicking on them but for some reason this is different.

Attachments

• screenshot of mysterious mp3.PNG
    screenshot of mysterious mp3.PNG
    452 KB · Views: 191
  • iTunes setup.PNG
    iTunes setup.PNG
    60.8 KB · Views: 158

ebel3003

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
"The Google"
I'm assuming you've already tried to drag it to the iTunes Library window.

Are you able to redownload the MP3 to make sure it wasn't just a fluke download?

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
I downloaded the file 3 times and tried the file on Mac and Windows iTunes. It makes no sense since the file plays perfectly in QuickTime so I know there's audio but iTunes won't add the file or even play the thing. It's so frustrating.

burningrave101

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
I downloaded the file 3 times and tried the file on Mac and Windows iTunes. It makes no sense since the file plays perfectly in QuickTime so I know there's audio but iTunes won't add the file or even play the thing. It's so frustrating.

There's probably an issue with the metadata or something. iTunes is extremely picky. Try opening the MP3 in converter and convert it to an MP3 file again which should strip it of it's current id3 tags. There is one I used earlier for Mac called Switch.

While on this subject, since I was having the same issue myself today, anyone else have anything to add on what app they use or what they do when they have an MP3 that won't load into iTunes? Is there a good one for Mac that just strips the ID3 tags off or whatever is usually the cause for the MP3 not to open in iTunes?

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
Apparently this thread died. The idea with metadata sounds right though. I don't think there's any other explanation.

I'd also love to know what kinds of programs could strip metadata off of files as well.

MFXKLF

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009
Tag - Metafile

I had the same problem. MP3 file does play using Windows MEdia Player, QUicktime, but does not play using iTunes. I accidentaly solved this problem using a software downloaded at http://www.mp3tag.de (WIndows software).

OPen the MP3 file in this software and select the X icon (which means remove tag). After that you will probably be able to listen the Mp3 file using iTunes. At least it worked for me.

gothicx00

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
Possible solution...

For anyone that still run across this problem, it could have to do with a stream error. Many things can cause this, but in my case I believe it may have something to do with album art being inserted in a non-standard manner.

I say this because I ran the files I was having this very problem with through Tag&Rename in Windows, because on occasion when there is an issue, it will flag it in red. Nothing seemed to be wrong with them. But, they all had album art. I ran across a program called MP3 Scan+Repair for OSX (supports 10.4 and 10.5, but seems to run just fine on 10.6), and it totally fixed the issues. I was able to import them into iTunes, no problem. And low and behold, the tracks no longer had album art in the meta data.

Not saying this is a fix all for mp3s that won't import into iTunes, but it's a good first step. Not sure if there is a comparable program for Windows, but any intelligent person should be able to find something that may fix the same sorts of problems.

If you can't seem to find something for Windows, clearing out all tags, and redoing them manually with your favorite tagging program might fix it too.

Hope this helps anyone still having this sort of problem.

hinchesk

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2007
Canada
MP3 Scan and Repair Worked

Had a few mp3's that wouldn't import into iTunes 10.3.1 no matter what I tried (double-click, drag/drop into iTunes, Add to Library, etc).

Downloaded Mp3 Scan and Repair which said the mp3's had MP3 stream errors. Clicked the hammer-shaped button to fix the file and then they imported fine. Easiest solution to the problem so far... it'll nag a bit for a donation but that's the biggest downside I've seen.

http://triq.net/articles/mp3-scan-repair-download

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.