iTunes not opening after force quit.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrat93, Sep 21, 2007.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

I just got my Mac this week, and I still have a lot to learn. Yesterday, I was restoring my iPod on the new Mac, and the restore was stuck in the middle of it. I tried getting out of iTunes regularly, but it didnt work. Then I did control+alt+esc to force quit out of it. I tried getting back in and now it says "The iTunes library file is locked, on a locked disk, oryou do not have write permission for this file." What do I do?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Basically, iTunes thinks that its library file is in use, when it really isn't. One way to fix this is to check to see if the Locked checkbox is selected for the iTunes Library file in the Finder, by doing a Get Info on it. The file is located, by default, in ~/Music/iTunes, where ~ is your home folder (the one with the picture of a house and your short user name).

3. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

I did the get info thing and it wasn't checked, but it was grayed out. I just restarted the computer and now it's fine. Thanks.

4. Pixel the cat macrumors newbie

When all else fails

Hi,

Just had the same problem but none of the advice (though spot on) worked.

I think my library file was too far gone to open.

Here's what I just tried that worked like a charm

Try this if all else fails...

1. Move your library and xml files from your itunes folder to the desktop
    2. Start iTunes
    3. Go to File>Import and import the XML file you just moved to the desktop (the library file is binary file which is much easier to corrupt)
    4. iTunes will import the file and when completed will restore your playlists and create a new error-free library file. Note: Depending upon your machine and the size of your library, this could take some time, but it does work so grab a cup of coffee and wait for your music to come back to you. :)