Itunes not opening .mp3 files downloaded from Transmission

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by theuncouth, Jun 18, 2008.

1. theuncouth macrumors newbie

I am a recently converted PC user to the world of Mac, and I have had nothing but troubles in getting music from my PC-formatted iPod to Mac. I was advised to download Senuti to do the transfer, did that, and it not only deleted all the files on my iPod after transferring, but the newly transferred files are corrupt.

As a result, I am having to download ALL my music back via torrents. I have read articles between users favoring Transmission, Tomato, and Azureus, and it seems like Transmission is the golden god of torrent downloaders. While I find the app relatively fast, iTunes cannot seem to recognize the .mp3 files that are on my desktop. Once in a while, some of the songs within a downloaded album will open just fine, but this seems to be an anomaly.

Any suggestions? I have a million things to re-download and I need an app that is reliable. Thanks in advance!

:apple:

2. munson macrumors 6502

munson

While I am sad for your situation and the means in which you're getting your music, I'll try to help.

Anyway, what do you mean by not recognizing the files? Do they not play in iTunes? Or is it that they play, but their info is all messed up?

3. Trainwreck707 macrumors member

I know exactly what you mean. I have found a few rare albums/songs that are not recognized by itunes for some reason. I have been able to convert them (they are mp3's) to other recognized formats using Toast. itunes will then recognize them.

Right click on one of the songs and select open with Quicktime rather than itunes and I bet they will open and play. I cannot explain why this happens, but converting them to a different format such as AAC (mp4) using a program such as Toast seems to work. If you don't have Toast or Quicktime Pro, do an internet search for one of the many free audio converters that can be downloaded. Maybe someone else here can point you towards one.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

hope you dont get in trouble:rolleyes:

5. munson macrumors 6502

munson

Oh, I get it, this happened to me once, WITH A RIPPED CD. I had "Dirt" by Alice In Chains, and used something other than iTunes to rip the CD. I eventually tried to play these fils in iTunes, and they never showed. It was odd.