iTunes Not Playing Music in Library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bob-C-, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Bob-C- macrumors newbie

I am a newbee here so forgive me if this has been answered.

I recently imported a dozen CDs into my I-Tunes, which I have done quite successfully in the past (more than 700 times -- my entire CD collection). When I attempted to play the music, nothing happens, as in absolutely nothing happens. The name of the track is in the I-tunes list, the file is in the folder in the i-tunes library. There is zero success in getting the files to play in Quicktime or other music applications.

During this time I noted that much of the other music also fails to play. For example, out of a dozen tracks on a single album, random ones will play and others will not (very consistent in that track 3 never plays, but random in that tracks 2, 4, 6, 9 in one album will not play, but tracks 1, 5, 9, 10 in another are effected).

The stuff I've downloaded from the i-tunes store seems to work after I do a new authorization.

I've tried everything I can think of to fix the problem. I am not sure if it is i-tunes, the music files, or some wacky combination.

I really hate to spend another few weeks importing music from the original cds if I can help it.

Can any of you with more experience than me help with this problem?

Thanks in advance...

Bob

Anyone going to help? People have viewed, but no help.

2. doobi18 macrumors 6502

1) Be patient, whinging that no one has helped you yet doesn't speed up the process

2) Check you have updated iTunes to the latest version (even if so there's a new version due out soon, which may fix your random problem)

3) Try the advanced > consolidate library option to check the associations betwwen the file themselevs and your library data file

Also, do you get little grey excalamation marks in the library next to the songs that don't play?

doobs

3. !on macrumors member

if in doubt, just delete the itunes library (not the files themselves!!) & the xml file. make sure your music is all in the same place (iTunes folder). then just reload it all in iTunes under add to library. let itunes keep your music organised etc etc. as long as your files are still there, should be fine, just a matter of telling itunes where to read from.

4. Bob-C- thread starter macrumors newbie

More on the Itunes problem

Thanks for the ideas; I appreciate the help. And sorry for the late reply; I'm out of town.

Thanks doobs, but I wasn't whining, just encouraging! ;-) I had already tried the 'consolidate library option' several times before. It didn't fix the problem.

Also, thanks to !on for the deleting the itunes library & the xml file, which I hadn't already tried. Unfortunately, that didn't work either.

Just to expand a bit on the problem. I had imported tunes from several CDs I had purchased without problem. A week or so later, I tried importing from a dozen or so new CDs, all older CDs bought from a used music store. Those tunes *are* in the Itunes library and itunes knows exactly where they are.

With i-tunes open, I try to play the song and the bar goes blue and the little arrows are there, but no music. No explanation, no exclamation points, nothing. Also, previous music in the library has likewise been affected, even though it has played before.

I am estimating about 20% of the library is impacted, which means I'll be spending several weeks re-importing the music if I can't figure a way to fix the problem.

Any other ideas?

5. RealaT macrumors regular

i have the same problem as you do, about 20-25% of my library will not play (not in itunes, quicktime or even vlc)

no programs give me an error message, they just refuse to play the files, the problem tracks are randomly scattered throughout my entire library

i'm starting to think it's due to corrupt files... i recovered the songs from my ipod and the recovered songs play perfectly so i'm fixing it that way