iTunes not playing nice with iPhoto '08???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skybolt, Aug 23, 2007.

1. skybolt macrumors 6502a

I upgraded to iPhoto '08 last weekend. I have most of my photos on an external, and did not update them to '08 yet, but the ones on my internal did the standard update in format. Now iTunes cannot sync that library to my iPod. When I choose the iPhoto library from within the iTunes iPod preferences, the library on my internal shows up, and shows all the albums, etc., but when I tell it to sync, I am told the "iPod cannot be synced. The required file cannot be found". I can open iPhoto and see my photos just fine, so that is not the problem. When I navigate to the folder on my external, I can sync that. Don't mind that so much but do want to ultimately convert those photos to '08, but not if I can't get them on my iPod.

Along with that, when I do select the file on the external to sync, my organization (albums, rolls, etc.) are not showing. I can only choose "modified", "original" and/or "data". How can I get my organization into my iPod?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

I haven't had that problem with my iLife '08 upgrade.

Maybe try to "unlink" your photo albums from your iPod then relink them. I guess you could turn off photo syncing, sync, then turn it back on and re-sync.

Maybe change the name of your album(s) to force iTunes to go grab a fresh set of the photos?

I'm just throwing darts here. I hope something sticks.

3. skybolt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Updating in case someone runs across this same issue. Over the weekend, it occurred to me that when I transferred my library to my external, I renamed the library on the internal to iPhoto Library2. Thinking this may be the problem, I tried renaming it back to iPhoto Library. Did not work. So, I moved that library to the desktop, and let iPhoto create a new, empty library on its own. Then I imported a couple of “events” into that new library. That seemed to work! So, I laboriously exported all my “events” to the desktop, and then imported all of them into the new library. Did not work! Wondering why a couple of events would allow iTunes to sync, but not when I imported all of them??? Anyway, after much pondering, I decided to try another install of the iLife “08 software. After that, iTunes recognized my library (the one named simply iPhoto Library – seems to be rather picky that way) and put my photos on my iPod! I went ahead and updated the library on the external to ’08, but have not tried to sync those photos to the iPod. Will try that just to see if it works, but that is not so important to me. I keep the most recent two years on the internal, and that is about all I care to sync.

Thanks for looking!