Itunes not recognizing iphone but recognizes ipod

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JJBro1, Jul 3, 2010.

1. JJBro1 macrumors regular

Out of nowhere my iphone is not being recognized by itunes but when it's connected it charges. Itunes does recognize my ipod so it can't be an issue with itunes or my usb cord right? I've tried resetting and restarting (I haven't restored) my iphone and its still not working. The iphone is jailbroken. So what do I do to fix this problem?

2. JJBro1 thread starter macrumors regular

3. Millie02 macrumors newbie

iPhone not recognized by iTunes after first initial set up, iPod still recognized

I am having the same problem. I updated from Tiger to Snow Leopard and installed iTunes. When I synced my iPhone 4, it would not get recognized as a device, but it would start charging. So, I followed the instructions on removing the AppleMobileDevice.kext. I couldn't find the AppleMobileDeviceSupport.pkg file. And uninstalled iTunes and then reinstalled. The iPhone synced up fine and life was great. Turned off my computer and next day, the iPhone wouldn't sync again and the previous solution hasn't worked. I have sinced synced my iPod without any problems.

I should also mention that when I sync my iPhone to my friend's MacBook, it's recognized without a problem. Any help would be very much appreciated as I am on the brink of returning my iPhone altogether.

4. Millie02 macrumors newbie

Yes. Still no luck. I've also tried all my USB ports, so it's not that. Any other suggestions?

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Are any iPhones recognized on it? Did you use the same cord?

6. Millie02 macrumors newbie

My laptop won't recognize any iPhones, including my friend's. However, using the same cord, my iPhone gets recognized on my friend's laptop as does his own iPhone. I should note that the cord I'm using to carry out all these tests is not the same as the one I originally used to sync the phone, but the fact the same cord will enable my iPhone to be recognized in a different laptop leads me to believe that it's not a cord problem, but a laptop (i.e. iTunes) problem. It's not a USB port issue as my iPod gets recognized when connected to any of the ports.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Well, it’s not the iPhone’s problem, so no reason to return it. I’d go see a Genius and bring the laptop.

Edit: re-read your OP. You “might” try reinstalling SL.