iTunes not recognizing iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by RDL, Jan 29, 2010.

1. RDL macrumors member

Hi,

iBook G4
    iPhone 3G (3.0)
    iTunes 8.2 (do not need or want to upgrade)

I have very little harddrive space left on my comp so recently in a desperate attempt to free up any memory possible I went in iTunes > Preferences > Devices and deleted the backup of my iPhone. I thought "no big deal" .. I assumed I would just resync and back it up when I plugged in it later. (I needed space at the time to download a file)

Now when I plug in my iPhone.. nothing. I tried a different USB cord but it will not appear. The phone doesn't even show it charging when I plug it in so its not being detected at all.

Please help! Any information is appreciated. Obviously I do not want to have to restore. Leaving town shortly and was really hoping to sync before I leave.

Thank u!

My phone is unlocked/jailbroken with many things on it that will not easily resync if I do a complete restore thats why that is my last option. I know it has to be something I did to iTunes and NOT the phone because I have added nothing new to the phone since the last sync. Why would deleted the backup cause this? And how can I correct it without a full restore? Or impossible?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Have you rebooted?

Perhaps uninstall and reinstall iTunes?

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Also, dust/crap in the dock connector can cause that, so all you need is a brush to clean it.

4. RDL thread starter macrumors member

Its not dust and I tried rebooting several times but I will try to reinstall iTunes and see what happens. Thanks.