itunes not recognizing my iphone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RMferrer, Nov 10, 2008.

1. RMferrer macrumors member

**edit just noticed i posted this in the wrong section**

ok here's my situation. I recently purchased a used 3G iphone all the features work flawlessly but when I plug the usb into the iphone, itunes pops up and it recognizes the iphone(icon on the left reads "iphone") but that's it.

when i click on the iphone icon it displays a screen which reads "set up your iphone" followed by two options: SET UP AS NEW IPHONE and RESTORE FROM THE BACK UP OF and a drop down menu showing 8GB black iphone 3G and my back up from my previously owned 2G iphone.

There is NO sync button displayed or anything similar to continue. The only thing i did with the iphone before I used it was perform a restore and updated my itunes that's it. Now i'm stuck on this screen.

Does anybody have a clue what happened? ive tried downloading itunes again but no success. Is it because it's used and not registered with "my" itunes, not original buyer? etc...its frustrating because i can't sync my music,movies,pictures etc. until i get this fixed. TIA for those with any advice.

2. ultimateceej macrumors regular

ultimateceej

Did you click "set up as new phone" and it's still stuck?

3. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

you need to associate the phone with your iTunes before you can sync it. You can either set it up as a brand new phone, or set up it from a backup of your old phone (in which case all your SMSes, call history, settings, etc. will be transferred over).

4. RMferrer thread starter macrumors member

i clicked on both options and nothing happens. Nothing else appears on the screen when i choose either option. Its like it's stuck.

5. RMferrer thread starter macrumors member

this is the problem. I can't associate the phone. I connect it to the usb and it's stuck on this screen described above. If i pick either option nothing happens.

6. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

First, try re-booting your phone. Hold the sleep/wake button and the home button at the same time. If that doesn't work try re-installing itunes on your computer.

7. RMferrer thread starter macrumors member

ok i've tried everything. I've uninstalled itunes and re-installed. i rebooted the phone and still nothing. what am i doing wrong? The phone synced fine when i brought it home. Then after i performed the restore i can't get past the set-up screen no matter what.

Again i ask, is it because it was not originally synced with my PC first. Is there something i must do in order for it to sync to my pc? No matter what set-up i choose(new iphone, or backed up file) nothing happens. I'm literally sitting here with my phone pluged in and i have tried both options but after that i can't continue.

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

What does it say on your iPhone screen? the: Needs activation Slide for Emergency screen?

9. RMferrer thread starter macrumors member

nope it has the green battery displayed and slide to unlock. phone is activated.

10. RMferrer thread starter macrumors member

alright guys i got it finally working. rebooted computer, phone. etc..now it's working like a charm!:D thanks for everyone's help.