iTunes not remembering sort order

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by paulsalter, Jun 14, 2009.

1. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Not sure if this is something i am doing wrong (tick box somewhere)

When I use grid view I like to see artists listed by 'Album by year', I click the header to sort by this but it keeps reverting back to what I assume is the order I added items (number column on left)

Is there a setting somewhere to tell it to always sort by the 'Album by Year' column ?

2. Nadinengland macrumors newbie

Yeah, it can be done, but it isn't as obvious as list view. Once you're in grid view right click the sort you would like, Albums/Artists/Genres/Composers, in your case Albums, "Sort Albums" -> then tick "By Artist" as well as Within Artist "By Year"

Hope that helped.

3. paulsalter thread starter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Thanks for that, was a nice tip that i didnt know about, unfortunately it wasnt quite what i was after

I go into grid view
    Highlight the top button for artists, which give me a list of all artists and the number of songs by them

If I click play from this screen (button on artist preview), it plays all the songs, but in the order i added them

If I double click on the artist, they are sorted by when i added them, I can then click the column sort by album year and play all songs in order

When i go back later into iTunes, they are back sorted by when i added, it doesnt remember that i changed the sort order

Cheers

4. Nadinengland macrumors newbie

Yeah it does that for me too now I've checked it. Grid View is a new-ish thing for iTunes, must just be something that they haven't ironed out yet.

Sorry I couldn't help.

5. zookeepersboy macrumors newbie

I'm also trying to find a solution to this...I'm guessing there isn't one yet? Seems like a bug to me...why would I only want to sort chronologically in album view and not in other views?