iTunes not responding after moving music to home server

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SkillsToShow, Jan 22, 2011.

1. SkillsToShow macrumors regular

I had my itunes music connected to my macbook through a external HD. I decided to move all the music on the drive to a desktop computer on the same network using a 2TB eternal drive. After a day of consolidating my music to the new 2TB over the network, it seems that every time I open up itunes it freezes and I usually have to force quit itunes.

I have tried reinstalling itunes, using a faster network (N, 5ghz), but none of it worked. iTunes continues to freeze up everytime I try opening it. The only time it did work was right after I consolidated all my music. I could listen to all the music and movies over the network but after closing itunes and reopening it continues to freeze.

If you have any suggestion on how I might fix this, fire away!

2. celticpride678

You probably have a large library. You have to keep in mind that, by putting everything on a network hard drive, iTunes has to access everything over-the-air, instead of having it right on the hard drive.

There's not too much you can do about it.

3. SkillsToShow thread starter macrumors regular

What! Thats crazy, :eek: I have heard a lot of people successfully putting all their music on a network storage. What would be the best way to do this? I was thinking it might be some setting in my router, not sure but I am investigating.

4. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

How big is your iTunes library ?

5. SkillsToShow thread starter macrumors regular