iTunes not responding, can't force quit

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rogersmj, May 6, 2007.

1. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

After rebooting from the recent updates (AirPort and Quicktime), I went to open up iTunes and all I got was a black arrow on the dock icon and "Application Not Responding" at the top of its context menu. Force quit from that menu won't kill it (that's the first time I've never experienced Force quit not working), and neither will attempts to kill it through Activity Monitor.

I hate restarting because I always keep tons of stuff open, plus I'm worried that this might happen again. Thought I would see if any of you have ideas before I have to shut everything down and reboot.

2. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Did you repair permissions? It's generally a good idea to repair permissions after an installation or update.

3. rogersmj thread starter macrumors 68020

rogersmj

:D Whenever I hear someone say that, in my mind it goes something like "Did you turn around counter-clockwise three times while rubbing your belly and singing the Macarena?"

But I'll give it a shot. Watch me eat my words.

4. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

:) I know what you mean. But repairing permissions has fixed a lot of weird problems with my computer in the past.

5. rogersmj thread starter macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Well crap. I repaired permissions and rebooted, and iTunes still won't load. This is a rather serious problem now. Any ideas? If my library was corrupted I'm going to $#!t a brick.

What's really disturbing me here is that I can't kill it with Activity Monitor once I've tried to launch it.

6. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Try reinstalling iTunes, using the full install from Apple's website.

7. rogersmj thread starter macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Fixed it. Well, solved it anyway: my iPod shuffle. It was connected in its dock. As soon as I removed it, after restarting one more time iTunes loaded without a problem. Weird, it's never had that issue before.

8. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Hmm...that's a strange one.
    Well, at least you figured it out. :)