iTunes Not Responding - El Cap

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LastStarfighter, Jun 5, 2019.

1. LastStarfighter, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019

LastStarfighter macrumors newbie

LastStarfighter

Seems like a strange coincidence but since they announced the break up of iTunes and the Mac OS Catalina betas, iTunes on my Mac has stopped responding.

Shortly after the announcement, I rebooted my Mac Pro 2008 (El Capitain) which is on 24/7 as it’s serves the Apple TVs around my house and saw a message saying device sync not available because it’s turned off. This has been the case for some time as I no longer wanted my iPhone to sync with my Mac yet be able to plug it in for backup/restore as devices needed replacing however that message has not ever shown before when launching iTunes.

After this I clicked the button saying leave syncing off and iTunes just beachballs, not responding. I’ve rebooted several times, tried starting iTunes in safe mode with no different results. I did see a mobile device update for iTunes in software update and installed this and rebooted hoping it would solve the problems but it hasn’t.

iTunes is unresponsive, loads up, loads my library as far as I can see in the background but the UI is unresponsive and the cursor beachballs whenever it’s over the iTunes window.

As far as I can tell the drive the iTunes library is fine, as are all the other drives. When starting iTunes in safe mode, it seems to be fine right up to when the little icon for connected devices shows up. At that point it stops responding.

Does anyone have any ideas? At this point I don’t mind removing my iPhone and iPad from iTunes devices as they’re backed up to iCloud now but I do need to get iTunes working to serve media to my Apple TVs.

Any help much appreciated.

2. LastStarfighter thread starter macrumors newbie

LastStarfighter

Further developments: it seems to be related to the devices I connected via iTunes in the past. If I start iTunes with my iPhone off local WiFi, it starts and runs just fine. As soon as my phone joins the network, the device icon pops up near the top left of the iTunes bar and iTunes hangs. Anyone have any way to remove the WiFi synced devices from iTunes?

Online when you search for this all you get is instructions on how to remove a device from your iTunes account so that it doesn’t count towards your device limit.

3. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

NoBoMac

You will need to plug the device into the Mac and toggle off the "Sync via wifi" option in iTunes under the device's Summary page.

Attached Files:

4. LastStarfighter thread starter macrumors newbie

LastStarfighter

Hi,

Unfortunately plugging the device in causes the same freeze as it being on the WiFi network.

I’ve been hunting through plist files to try too find where iTunes remembers my phone to delete it. So far no luck there.