iTunes not saving apps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dopeyman, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

Ever since iTunes was automatically updated to 12.7, my apps that I've downloaded to my phone haven't been saving to my mac. I've already downgraded to 12.6.3. and they're still not being saved to my mac.

What can I do to have my newly downloaded apps from my iPhone automatically saved to my mac like before??

2. Tech198, Nov 14, 2017 at 3:20 PM
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 3:28 PM

Tech198 macrumors G4

What version of iOS ?

If either iTunes and iOS is either too new or two old then it won't sync..

Try creating new user and testing iTunes from there.

3. rworne macrumors 6502

With the release of the latest OS X, iTunes removed the ability to store downloaded apps. Apple assumes you'll just download them off the cloud from now on.

Visit the iTunes store for any iOS app via your web browser, you'll see the "Open in iTunes" link is gone, and a new phrase: "This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices."

4. Dopeyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Currently running iOS 11.1.1 with macOS Sierra 10.12.6 and iTunes 12.6.3.6.

Is there any way to bring back syncing of my apps?

Yes, that is correct. It does say that. Now what?

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

This changes in High Sierra - they took code from Mac Server and now you can store apps on the Mac - it involves setting options in system preferences. I don't remember the exact details;I had to search the Apple info pages.

Not being able to store on the Mac would be horrible if you have several IOS devices and a slow or metered internet speed.

6. Dopeyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

The only thing that changed for me was it automatically updated from iTunes 12.6.2 to iTunes 12.7. That's when the apps store option was removed. I'm still on Sierra, not High Sierra. So I dropped down to iTunes 12.6.3 when (I'm assuming) Apple got the backlash. Imma try going back down to 12.6.2 again and see what happens.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

I am sorry - the 12.7 update of iTunes was when the apps were dropped from iTunes. High Serra adds the option to assist with caching apps on the Mac (aks Server).. if you go bak to 12.6.2 I think you will get an iTunes error on the Tunes library as 127 probably changed it.

8. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

What about in the event of a nuclear war, earthquake, plague, or general fall of civilization?
    How many cloud outages has Google experienced in the Past month?
    Why should I pay a premium for a more insecure service?
    Sure, it may be OK when I've got infinite bandwidth and things are running at 150 Mbps, but that's seldom the case except in the larger cities, sometimes.
    I realize Apple is obsessed with dumping computers from the iOS side of things, but this is going beyond de-emphasis, into the territory of the downright foolish.

9. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

On one hand you have people complaining about iOS apps not syncing to their Mac. On the other, you had people complaining about the apps taking up too much space on their Macs with small SSDs.

It will not be long before there isn't any port at all on iOS devices to connect anything.

I'm pretty sure the majority of smartphone users have been backing up via the cloud for quite a while.