Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
Ever since iTunes was automatically updated to 12.7, my apps that I've downloaded to my phone haven't been saving to my mac. I've already downgraded to 12.6.3. and they're still not being saved to my mac.

What can I do to have my newly downloaded apps from my iPhone automatically saved to my mac like before??

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
What version of iOS ?

If either iTunes and iOS is either too new or two old then it won't sync..

Try creating new user and testing iTunes from there.

Last edited:

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
Ever since iTunes was automatically updated to 12.7, my apps that I've downloaded to my phone haven't been saving to my mac. I've already downgraded to 12.6.3. and they're still not being saved to my mac.

What can I do to have my newly downloaded apps from my iPhone automatically saved to my mac like before??

With the release of the latest OS X, iTunes removed the ability to store downloaded apps. Apple assumes you'll just download them off the cloud from now on.

Visit the iTunes store for any iOS app via your web browser, you'll see the "Open in iTunes" link is gone, and a new phrase: "This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices."

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
What version of iOS ?

If either iTunes and iOS is either too new or two old then it won't sync..

Try creating new user and testing iTunes from there.

Currently running iOS 11.1.1 with macOS Sierra 10.12.6 and iTunes 12.6.3.6.

Is there any way to bring back syncing of my apps?

With the release of the latest OS X, iTunes removed the ability to store downloaded apps. Apple assumes you'll just download them off the cloud from now on.

Visit the iTunes store for any iOS app via your web browser, you'll see the "Open in iTunes" link is gone, and a new phrase: "This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices."

Yes, that is correct. It does say that. Now what?

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
This changes in High Sierra - they took code from Mac Server and now you can store apps on the Mac - it involves setting options in system preferences. I don't remember the exact details;I had to search the Apple info pages.

Not being able to store on the Mac would be horrible if you have several IOS devices and a slow or metered internet speed.

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
This changes in High Sierra - they took code from Mac Server and now you can store apps on the Mac - it involves setting options in system preferences. I don't remember the exact details;I had to search the Apple info pages.

Not being able to store on the Mac would be horrible if you have several IOS devices and a slow or metered internet speed.

The only thing that changed for me was it automatically updated from iTunes 12.6.2 to iTunes 12.7. That's when the apps store option was removed. I'm still on Sierra, not High Sierra. So I dropped down to iTunes 12.6.3 when (I'm assuming) Apple got the backlash. Imma try going back down to 12.6.2 again and see what happens.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I am sorry - the 12.7 update of iTunes was when the apps were dropped from iTunes. High Serra adds the option to assist with caching apps on the Mac (aks Server).. if you go bak to 12.6.2 I think you will get an iTunes error on the Tunes library as 127 probably changed it.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Apple assumes you'll just download them off the cloud from now on.
What about in the event of a nuclear war, earthquake, plague, or general fall of civilization?
How many cloud outages has Google experienced in the Past month?
Why should I pay a premium for a more insecure service?
Sure, it may be OK when I've got infinite bandwidth and things are running at 150 Mbps, but that's seldom the case except in the larger cities, sometimes.
I realize Apple is obsessed with dumping computers from the iOS side of things, but this is going beyond de-emphasis, into the territory of the downright foolish.

Reactions: old-wiz

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
On one hand you have people complaining about iOS apps not syncing to their Mac. On the other, you had people complaining about the apps taking up too much space on their Macs with small SSDs.

It will not be long before there isn't any port at all on iOS devices to connect anything.

I'm pretty sure the majority of smartphone users have been backing up via the cloud for quite a while.

Reactions: old-wiz

Ashka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
New Zealand
You can still sync Music, Movies, TV Programmes, Books, Audio Books, Podcasts and Photos. Backup is also still available it's just the apps that have been removed.. If your apps are shared via iCloud to various iPad/iPhones etc you just have to update them individually or teach their owners too. :)

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I have a Parallels's VM with iTunes 12.6.3, MacOS 10.12, and iOS 10 and it works. I saw something flash about Apple Certificate the other day but everything seemed to still work. I don't know how much longer that configuration will work when there are variables that are out of my control like Apple Certificates or iPad running iOS 10 are all taken by the iOS 11 rapture.

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
Posting a year later.........

Ok, so is there something out there similar to when iTunes used to have the iOS apps synced and stored? And also much easier to drag/drop the apps instead of searching and downloading each one, one by one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.