iTunes not seeing media in new location on external drive...

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by gpspad, Feb 4, 2017.

1. gpspad macrumors 6502

So I got my second mac mini going, installed server and created a user. Machine is running fine headless.

I copied all my iTunes media from one machine to an extrenal HD. I attached the external HD to the mac mini server, logged in with screen sharing and I went to start iTunes holding down the "Option" key and nothing happened.

I changed the directory using preferences and pointed iTunes to the new library and nothing. Tried screen sharing my MacBook and the "option" open itunes worked fine. I'm not sure if having no old media screwed things up.

To test things I copied a video file to the new "Add to iTunes" directory in the new location and it works.

Is there a way to force a rebuild?

Have no idea why iTunes wouldn't read the "option" key I was holding down.

2. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

3. chrisandersen macrumors 6502

chrisandersen

4. gpspad thread starter macrumors 6502

I figured this out, You can't just change the directory path, iTunes needs to some how reindex the files, it does that with the alt/option startup trick. Without that nothing happens with the old files.

I connected a wired keyboard to the headless mac mini running server. Then I had someone hold down the alt/option key while I clicked it over screen sharing. It worked!

I have no idea why I can use the wireless keyboard and screen sharing over macs not running server, but not a headless mac mini running server, but the bug lies in there somewhere.

Hopefully