iTunes not seeing music cause renamed the drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cattywampus_, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Cattywampus_ macrumors 6502a

My iTunes Library is stored on an external disk in a folder called "iTunes Library" at the root of the drive.

Also at the root of the drive are folders like "Albums" "Singles" and "Mixsets" etc.

I just moved everything over to a new external hard drive. I copied everything from one drive to another - so the file and folder structures are identical. The only difference is the volume has a different name.

It was Maxtor Music, and is now WD Music. Since doing this, most of my music is missing according to iTunes. When I change the name of the volume to Maxtor Music, everything works fine.

Is there anyway to get iTunes to recognize its just a name of the volume change and just play everything? I didn't think it would cause this problem.

2. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Does it go, "iTunes can't find the file, would you like to locate it"? If so, just delete all of your music from the library and add it again by choosing File-> Add to Library. Choose the folder that all the music is in and you're good to go! :)

3. Cattywampus_ thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah it says that, and I thought about adding everything again... However....

I don't have all my music in my Library. I have a lot of tat that I didn't want to delete just incase, but i Never listen to it. So I spent a long time going through and selecting the tracks I wanted in my Library. Deleting everything would mean me having to go and do it again.

I need a solution really - not a work around. thanks though :)