iTunes Not Showing Music

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ghughes20, Mar 20, 2015.

1. ghughes20 macrumors newbie

Hi, I just purchased a new 2015 rMBP, my first Apple computer in over 30 years, and am still in the process of setting it up. I'm using the rMBP to host iTunes and am trying to copy my music library over to the new laptop. I went through the process of backing up and copying the iTunes library via an external drive and have copied the library to the mac and placed it in the /Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/ folder. Additionally, I confirmed in preferences that the "iTunes Media folder location" is the same; Music/iTunes/iTunes Media. However, my music isn't showing up in my iTunes library. Oddly, when I select a track to listen from the folder, and it open with iTunes and than appears in the iTunes library - but only that one track. Is there a way to have iTunes index all of the trades in the iTunes Media folder without me having to open each one?

I've done some research, but can't find something that addresses this problem.

Thank you for any advice.

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Check a couple things:
    -How you have thebitunes library organization set Automatic organization or manual?
    -Do you have iTunes Match ? Is it enable to show all music?
    - Change the location of the library a couple times and see if it works afterwards.

There is a way to rebuild the library, search for it.

3. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

It shouldn't be this much effort to set up. Remove the music from where you put it. Then, put all the music in a folder on the desktop. Then, open iTunes and just drag the music files (select all with command-a) and drag them right into the My Music section in iTunes. Voila!

As mentioned above, I recommend the automatic organization of music.

4. ghughes20 thread starter macrumors newbie

This worked for me. Thank you for the advice and quick response. :)

5. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

You are welcome!