iTunes not transferring new photos to iPhoto

Discussion in 'macOS' started by self, Dec 24, 2011.

1. self macrumors regular

Maybe this is a misunderstanding on my part, but iTunes is not transferring new photos from my iPhone to iPhoto. In iTunes, I have the box checked "Sync Photos from iPhoto". Shouldn't this transfer new photos from my iPhone into iPhoto?

Or do I have to open iPhoto separately and Import Photos there?

In which case, I don't understand what that box is iTunes is for?

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

AFAIK, you still have to do it manually. I think the checkbox is there because there can be other apps that you'd prefer to import your photos into (instead of iPhoto), like Image Capture, Aperture, etc.

I use Photostream. Any pics I take on my iPhone will automatically sync up to iCloud, which when syncs automatically back down to Apeture (iPhoto, in your case) the next time I open it.

3. self thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. It's strange that it shows iPhoto as an option if it isn't supported. After the checkbox I have "Sync Photos from <iPhoto>".

I know I can setup iPhoto to automatically import from Photostream. But I don't see the point because Photostream doesn't support video. It seems like it will also suck up a lot of battery to upload the photos and I don't have any other devices.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Sorry, I misread your OP.

In iTunes, the Photos > Sync Phones from: iPhoto automatically puts photos from iPhoto onto your iPhone.

AFAIK, there is no automatic way to sync photos from your iPhone into iPhoto. You can go into the Image Capture app and tell Mac OS X to automatically open iPhoto each time that your iPhone is plugged in and there are new photos to sync, but you still have to click the Import button in iPhoto.