Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2006
I docked my iPhone tonight, as I have done many times with an Orange SIM inserted (but no, I haven't run the iPhoneSimFree software yet, they're yet to add me to the list) and I was greeted with this:

It's been working fine, letting me sync and generally do everything except the phone functions while I await being added to the unlock list.

Is this new? Is there a way round it? I've tried undocking/restarting/restarting iTunes but every time I dock my iPhone now this message appears.

Hope this isn't a sign of bad times to come :(

Canuck4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Damn Neil, thats not a good sign.
is that the latest Itunes version you got installed?

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2006
iTunes version 7.1.4.2 running on Windows Vista Home Premium.

Skystar

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
Wow I have never seen that before. I have been syncing just fine with my T-Mobile sim card installed, but I am using a Hyper-card dual sim adapter which emulates an AT&T sim.

petite

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2006
You probably just need to put the AT&T sim card back in and activate again.

Don't worry. Apple has stated that they aren't going to retaliate against hacking.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2006

Don't worry. Apple has stated that they aren't going to retaliate against hacking.

This is news to me. Did they really say that?

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Not here

Friends unlocked this AM and are using tmobile and are not having a issue. They tested by putting in my att card docked and put the tmob card back in and no issues.

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007

Well they said they would not intentionally break anything that would make hacked apps stop running.

This is a different issue. Whether the iPhone is unlocked or not is an integral part of the legal agreement they have with AT&T.

Letting you install a (hacked) native Nintendo emulator app is a different thing from letting you use an external server and program to circumvent a legal agreement.

TXCraig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Just remember Apple gets a slice of your monthly AT&T phone bill! So its in their best interest to keep the phone locked. They said they will not block 3rd party applicaitons- unlocking the phone is not a applicaiton.

petite

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2006
Well they said they would not intentionally break anything that would make hacked apps stop running.

This is a different issue. Whether the iPhone is unlocked or not is an integral part of the legal agreement they have with AT&T.

Letting you install a (hacked) native Nintendo emulator app is a different thing from letting you use an external server and program to circumvent a legal agreement.

Well, this isn't so simple. Many people have bought the iPhone without actually making a legal agreement with AT&T (which you make when you connect to iTunes and go through the regular activation). And I don't know about you guys in the US but in Europe you are free to do whatever with your purchased goods. Remember you are buying the phone full price - not leasing.

But let's see. Apple is only gaining customers with the hacks. AT&T on the other hand is losing.

petite

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2006
Just remember Apple gets a slice of your monthly AT&T phone bill! So its in their best interest to keep the phone locked. They said they will not block 3rd party applicaitons- unlocking the phone is not a applicaiton.

In a way it is and in a way it is not.. But this, in my opinion, gives us the sense of Apple's relaxed approach to people hacking the iPhone.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2006
Well, this isn't so simple. Many people have bought the iPhone without actually making a legal agreement with AT&T (which you make when you connect to iTunes and go through the regular activation). And I don't know about you guys in the US but in Europe you are free to do whatever with your purchased goods. Remember you are buying the phone full price - not leasing.

But let's see. Apple is only gaining customers with the hacks. AT&T on the other hand is losing.

Yes, but if it's a defined clause of Apple's contract with AT&T that they fill any holes which lead to customers being able to use the phone outside of AT&T's network then they will have to stop people from doing it.

petite

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2006
Yes, but if it's a defined clause of Apple's contract with AT&T that they fill any holes which lead to customers being able to use the phone outside of AT&T's network then they will have to stop people from doing it.

Now that's the first I hear about that... If so - then I stand corrected ;)

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC

Yet selling the hardware to people who would not switch to AT&T wouldn't be a negative :D

Win/Win either way Apple looks at it.

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
Apple may not care, but AT&T might have something to say about it, and since they are sleeping together, if you don't listen to your significant other, they will raise hell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.