iTunes now blocking non-AT&T SIMs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by neiltc13, Sep 11, 2007.

1. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I docked my iPhone tonight, as I have done many times with an Orange SIM inserted (but no, I haven't run the iPhoneSimFree software yet, they're yet to add me to the list) and I was greeted with this:

It's been working fine, letting me sync and generally do everything except the phone functions while I await being added to the unlock list.

[​IMG]

Is this new? Is there a way round it? I've tried undocking/restarting/restarting iTunes but every time I dock my iPhone now this message appears.

Hope this isn't a sign of bad times to come :(

2. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

Damn Neil, thats not a good sign.
    is that the latest Itunes version you got installed?

3. neiltc13 thread starter macrumors 68040

neiltc13

iTunes version 7.1.4.2 running on Windows Vista Home Premium.

4. Skystar macrumors 6502

Wow I have never seen that before. I have been syncing just fine with my T-Mobile sim card installed, but I am using a Hyper-card dual sim adapter which emulates an AT&T sim.

5. petite macrumors member

You probably just need to put the AT&T sim card back in and activate again.

Don't worry. Apple has stated that they aren't going to retaliate against hacking.

6. neiltc13 thread starter macrumors 68040

neiltc13

This is news to me. Did they really say that?

7. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Not here

Friends unlocked this AM and are using tmobile and are not having a issue. They tested by putting in my att card docked and put the tmob card back in and no issues.

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yes...its on the front page, here :)

9. neiltc13 thread starter macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Aha, but they didn't specifically ask whether it may be a condition of Apple's contract with AT&T that they ensure the phone stays locked to their network.

10. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Well they said they would not intentionally break anything that would make hacked apps stop running.

This is a different issue. Whether the iPhone is unlocked or not is an integral part of the legal agreement they have with AT&T.

Letting you install a (hacked) native Nintendo emulator app is a different thing from letting you use an external server and program to circumvent a legal agreement.

11. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

Just remember Apple gets a slice of your monthly AT&T phone bill! So its in their best interest to keep the phone locked. They said they will not block 3rd party applicaitons- unlocking the phone is not a applicaiton.

12. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

This may be specific to European networks.A sign that Apple is about to go live with service there.

13. petite macrumors member

Well, this isn't so simple. Many people have bought the iPhone without actually making a legal agreement with AT&T (which you make when you connect to iTunes and go through the regular activation). And I don't know about you guys in the US but in Europe you are free to do whatever with your purchased goods. Remember you are buying the phone full price - not leasing.

But let's see. Apple is only gaining customers with the hacks. AT&T on the other hand is losing.

14. petite macrumors member

In a way it is and in a way it is not.. But this, in my opinion, gives us the sense of Apple's relaxed approach to people hacking the iPhone.

15. neiltc13 thread starter macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Yes, but if it's a defined clause of Apple's contract with AT&T that they fill any holes which lead to customers being able to use the phone outside of AT&T's network then they will have to stop people from doing it.

16. petite macrumors member

Now that's the first I hear about that... If so - then I stand corrected ;)

17. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Yet selling the hardware to people who would not switch to AT&T wouldn't be a negative :D

Win/Win either way Apple looks at it.

18. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

Yeah, but maybe a *small* retaliation against Vista.... hmmm....

19. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

Apple may not care, but AT&T might have something to say about it, and since they are sleeping together, if you don't listen to your significant other, they will raise hell.