Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
This isn't new.

It depends on the state.

Chances are, if you have an Apple Store, or Apple corporate office located in your state, you will also have to pay sales tax on online purchases (however this isn't the case for some states).

Not so. While Apple charges sales tax in NYS for purchases, they do not charge sales tax for iTMS downloads. They did at the beginning but it stopped.

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
indeed. 9% tax on all purchases. :eek:
most of the suburbs are 7.5-8% on all purchases depending i believe.

this is one of the reasons i buy products from amazon and music from iTunes. its cheaper. Amazon doesn't charge me tax and neither does iTunes. 9.99 for an album is much better than 9.99+9% tax. :eek:

Cigs are very very heavily taxed. My mother smokes and she gets her cigs far away from the city to avoid the high taxes.

Ya, this isn't true for California. Despite the fact that we have Apple's headquarters located in CA, we only pay $.99.

Where and how can I buy from iTunes without getting hit by Sales tax?

I travel in and out of the USA for work so have no permanent location like I used to in TX. (Thats my current billing address... which I can change to avoid tax)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.