iTunes on 2 computers possible?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by smokey982, Feb 8, 2016.

1. smokey982 macrumors newbie

We have 3 iPhones in my family. Each phone has been backed up using the same iMac with iTunes. It's been that way for several years now. But my daughter has recently got a new Windows laptop. I downloaded iTunes to her computer so that she could play Apple Music on it. But she's never hooked her phone up to the iTunes on the laptop. But I want to be able to unload photos from her iPhone onto her laptop. Do I need iTunes to do that? If I connect her iPhone to her computer will it link her phone to that version of iTunes? I've never really understood how iTunes works on different computers with 1 phone.

2. Rigby macrumors 601

You can copy the photos without running iTunes. If you connect the phone, it should show up as a device in the Windows explorer, just like a regular camera connected via USB. You can then browse the DCIM directory and copy the photos.
    Apple does not allow syncing a phone with multiple iTunes libraries. If you don't want to switch to the laptop, you should enable the option "Prevent devices from syncing automatically" in iTunes under Settings/Devices, so it doesn't start the pairing process in case you forget to quit iTunes before connecting the phone.