iTunes on a HDD and time machine question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mowgli21, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Mowgli21 macrumors regular

Hi

I've seen in a few places that people run their iTunes content off an external hard drive. Does this work well?

Are there any problems that arrise running off an external hard drive rather than an internal hdd?

If you unplug the usb from the mac then back in again does it forget the links to the music, films etc or does it remember where they are?

Also a question slightly off topic that someone may be able to help me with is that i use a 500gb external drive with time machine. If i do this does it mean i cannot use the rest of the hard drive for other files? For example i was thinking of getting a 1tb drive using it for time machine for backups of my mac as well as copying a backup of my laptop on there? not using time machine. (Click and drag).

Many Thanks

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

yes. my iTunes library lives on an external firewire 800 drive connected directly to my mini

Are there any problems that arrise running off an external hard drive rather than an internal hdd?

none i can think off

If you unplug the usb from the mac then back in again does it forget the links to the music, films etc or does it remember where they are?

not if you make sure the drive is mounted on your desktop before firing up iTunes. even if you do, quit iTunes, connect or turn on the drive, and relaunch iTunes.

i was thinking of getting a 1tb drive using it for time machine for backups of my mac as well as copying a backup of my laptop on there?

not a good idea, imho. if the drive goes belly up, you lose everything.

i suggest you use one drive for TM backups and another (or even two) for making a bootable clone of your startup disk. you can use apps such as Carbon Copy Cloner (http://www.bombich.com/) or SuperDuper (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html) for that.

JG

3. Mowgli21 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks very much for your quick detailed response.:)

4. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant