iTunes on Drobo; Temporary use with Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by michaelsaxon, Aug 4, 2011.

1. michaelsaxon macrumors 6502

My setup normally includes my iMac connected to my Drobo that has my iTunes media folder. I'm traveling with my Macbook and my Drobo and I'd like the Macbook iTunes to be able to use my Drobo files (I need to be able to move my music library to an iPod from the Macbook).

I've pointed iTunes to the folder on the Drobo in the preferences and nothing happens. I've tried to do the "consolidate library" part as well and nothing happens.

When I open iTunes, it just has the screens that indicate that I have no content. Please help! Thanks.

2. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Just import them into the Mac library. You did not actually populate iTunes on the Mac. While you set the links up, you need to logically put the stuff in the Mac's iTunes lib.

3. michaelsaxon thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. How do I do that? Drag the folders into iTunes?

4. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Hi,

Easy. In iTunes, go: File --> Add to Library --> then in the drop down box, point to where your library is. Make sure that the box: "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" is not checked or it will copy the files from the Drobo directly on to your Mac's HDD. Once you have them "imported" again, you can point to them on your Drobo. I do this with my Drobo as well.

5. michaelsaxon thread starter macrumors 6502