Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mobiletaylor

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
I recently moved my iTunes media to an external drive. Everything is working great. My only question is about what happens when I connect to iTunes without the external drive connected. iTunes defaults to the internal drive to store any downloaded media. What is the best way to get that media to the external when I connect it again? Is there a setting that iTunes will automatically transfer the media? I've been selecting consolidate, and it's working, but it doesn't delete the older versions of my iPhone/iPad apps. I have to go in and manually delete those. Is there a better way to keep things in sync?

Thanks,

JT

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I make changes on iOS device, and sync back to iTunes when my external HD is connected.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
So you only download apps through your iOS device and not the computer (when external HD is not connected)

JT

Yes, even for large files such as 1GB app upgrades (some of the racing games).

Otherwise I connect my external.

iGrf

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2007
let's hijack this topic :)

I have moved my media to an external drive a while ago.

But I have now installed a clean version of osx lion and would like to point itunes back to my external library.

I've changed the location in my preferences BUT somehow iTunes refuses to see any songs.

I could of course import all data again but I assume that there is a quicker way ?

Thanks,
Greg

----------

ok never mind I just figured out that when I hold 'alt' when starting iTunes it allows me to point to a different library ... problem solved :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.