iTunes on external drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sly, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

I had about 3500 tunes + movies + podcasts etc running on an external hard drive. I have had to reinstall Leopard and now the computer will not see my music. I guess the data file for the music must have been on my Mac. What can I do, help, this is 5 years worth of music including ratings, artwork, 100's of itunes store purchases, any ideas?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The data file would have been in [Home Dir]/Music so it would have been on your Mac.

3. Sly thread starter macrumors 6502

Sly

I guessed that would be the case, so how do I get all my music that is still there on my external drive to play again?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Just re-add the music to iTunes and make sure you've setup iTunes preferences to not organize music for you and you can also change the iTunes home directory. This is under Advanced I believe.

5. Sly thread starter macrumors 6502

Sly

When you say re-add the music what do you mean, if you just drop a track in to the iTunes window it has no idea what it is?

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I can add files that way just fine, but you can also go under File and choose Add to Library and go to your music folders.