iTunes on External HD Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spellflower, Aug 13, 2010.

1. spellflower macrumors regular

I have an 80GB MacBook and a 70GB iTunes library, most of which is located on my external HD. Trouble is, that HD isn't always connected to my machine, and I often use iTunes when it isn't.

As a result, I have a major discrepancy between my external and internal libraries. Is there a way to get iTunes to add all the new content from my MacBook to my external HD music folder whenever it connects?

Another problem is that every time I try to play a song that's only on the external, iTunes says it can't find it and asks me if I would like to locate it. This happens even when I go into Preferences and select the appropriate folder on the external HD. Why can't iTunes just use Spotlight to search for the file (like I do) and play it?

Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone have a solution?

2. jamesedward macrumors member

jamesedward

I have a similar method, my music is on a time capsule etc.

I dont know if this is any use but it works for me anyway.

Right so the way I do it, as I always look at new releases, each month I create a folder within (wherever you keep your) music etc aug 2010 and what ever music I find that month goes in there.

then in itunes i made a playlist folder for each year, then drag and drop the folder for the month to itunes (underneath your playlists) creating a new playlist.

this way you can monitor aug 2010 playlist with 2010 folder, also with the 2010 playlist folder you have a playlist of all the new music for that year, witch is good if you music gets lost within all the masses of itunes!

Anyway, sorry if thats a bit complicated but its a good system that I find works well, hope it helps.