iTunes on External help..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Luke0739, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Luke0739 macrumors newbie

I have a 13" macbook which i got from school, and i want to run iTunes off it. Now the internal isn't big enough, so I bought a 1TB external for this. Now I have all my songs on the external, and have changed the iTunes music folder location to the one on the external, which contains all my music. BUT, I have an old version of iTunes (9.1 I think), so I can't sync my iPod touch with it. Now since it is a school computer, I can't update any apps without taking it to the tech center and asking the admin to do it, and there's a chance he won't even do it, and we are still on holidays for a couple more weeks.

I can't install any applications, since it is a school computer, so there is no point downloading iTunes 10 straight from the apple site, (I've tried).

Also I would prefer to have the iTunes installed on the external rather than the actual computer.

So is there any way around this? Or should I try and get iTunes updated when I get back to school?

Thanks in advance!

2. MacTribe macrumors member

MacTribe

Without an Admin password, you wont be able to install the apps from that machine, on any harddrives - including attached externals.

Also, if the Mac you are using has 10.4 or earlier installed, you wont be able to run the latest iTunes. Unfortunately it is no longer supported.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

There are many ways around this, but as your school has enabled your password, and its their machine I would suggest waiting till the holidays are over.

Im sure if you explain to the IT tech that you want to use your new iPod touch they will not have any qualms about updating your software.

4. Luke0739 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot everyone. Someone told me that if I got a portable version of iTunes I could use that. Is this true? If so I can't find one of 9.2 or higher, any help?