iTunes on iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Deadman64, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

I just had a few questions regarding iTunes on the iPhone [hopefully they still apply for 3G]

Can you download/sample songs without being in range of WIFI?

Can you download movies using the iPhone? Do you have to be in range of WIFI?

Say i'm on a long roadtrip...could I whip out my iPhone and rent a movie from the iTunes built in?? Or again, would I need WIFI??

Thanks.

2. jontucker macrumors 6502

No, no and I'm afriad, no.

You need WiFi for iTunes store and even then you can't download video content... though I imagine that could change some day.

3. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

the itunes musicstore on the iphone is music only and only available through wifi, not the cell network..most likely because music downloads over the cell network would be competing with atts "music/ringtones" offerings.

So no.

4. Deadman64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bummer. Would be awesome to rent/buy movies on the go.

5. YoungKevin macrumors member

No its because the music industry wanted to charge $1.99 per song. It makes no sense to charge more just because it come over the air instead of an computer. Honestly i think since iTunes let HBO charge more for their tv shows. Everyone thinks they can get more out of Apple

6. joekun macrumors regular

I really think that apple needs to be smart about this and at least start offering podcasts from the itunes store over 3G. No increased costs to them.

7. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

couldn't that also bog down the network if there were alot of people downloading music, movie, etc from iTunes.