Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cb31

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
Hi,

I have a PC running iTunes and all my music stored on a external USB drive. This works great as my Xbox can stream music off the drive directly and via itunes sharing. I have recently bought an imac and am having some trouble with the iTunes library.

Currently the imac is connecting to the PC itunes as a shared library which works ok for playing music, however when I connect my ipod to the mac I can't transfer my podcasts to it. I know I can connect the ipod to the pc and do it but that isn't as convenient.

What I would like to do is have the mac and pc share the library so I don't have to connect the mac as a shared library. I think this may be difficult if the PC deletes a tune when the mac is off, how will it know of any database changes? Moving the usb drive to the mac is not an option as the pc is a server that is on 24/7 whereas the imac is sleeping most of the time.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Could you set up the iTunes folder as a network share and get the mac copy of iTunes to point to it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.