iTunes on Mac, automount NAS after NAS sleep?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrMister111, Dec 15, 2011.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

My iTunes library resides on my Buffalo Linkstation NAS. I have an iMac btw.

So it connects to it and saves etc fine, but my NAS is set to sleep overnight when not used. My problem is my iMac is on, and set to sleep, and I leave iTunes app open on it, as also use my Apple TV 2 randomly through the day.

So in the morning, after my NAS has been to sleep and then awaoke again, I get the error that "could not save itunes file" ie it looks like its lost the connection after my NAS has gone to sleep - how do cure this? auto mount? I'm logged in a s 1 user all the time, so neve log out.

2nd is how do I automount it in Finder. To fix the above, I have to quit iTunes, cmd+k to mount the NAS, open itunes and its fine. But I'm having to do this everyday and its really annoying.

Suppose solution is dont set NAS to sleep, which I could, but surely there is another way?

cheers

2. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

I've tried to mount, and it works fine. As I said I know you can auto mount when you log in, but mine is logged in all the time on same user.

I can't find a way to automount if it loses connection, (which iTunes will when NAS goes to sleep).

Anyone use a NAS for storing there iTunes library on? any tips? do you have same situation as me, or do you leave NAS running constantly?

cheers

3. Coolestdude macrumors member

<sigh> same boat. I just make sure to go into finder before I switch back to iTunes and re-connect. If I do that, it is fine.

(Netgear ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer)

4. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

ah thanks for reply, least I'm not only one then :(

Was hoping, it would auto-connect, via some clever script or something maybe?

Surely this is becoming more common, with iTunes libraries getting bigger and bigger, and Mac internal HDD small in comparison? e.g. mines over 100Gb iTunes library now, and my internal HDD is only 320Gb