itunes on macbook not locating time capsule automatically

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by justinpignatore, Jul 30, 2008.

1. justinpignatore macrumors newbie

I recently bought a time capsule to replace my old hard drive. I copied my music from my laptop to time capsule and an iMac just to be safe. I cleared the itunes from my macbook, copied them back and deleted the files (so all the songs would be in my library). Obviously now I get the exclamation points, and I can locate the songs manually, but I'd rather it do it automatically. Is there a setting I need to change on the time capsule to allow me to do this? Thanks, I appreciate it!

2. shnikjr macrumors newbie

Me Too

I'm having the same problem with this... the library location in preferences does not reset but most all the music when I try to play it says:

SONG could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?

And, of course, I can locate it but it's a huge pain when over 90% of the 15 gigs of music or even TV shows and movies require manual location. I've tried just about everything...

Assistance??

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

if you put an alias to the proper location in ~/Music/iTunes called "iTunes Music" (no quotes) it will solve the problem of the default location being reset.

At the worst, if you start iTunes and it can't find the music and starts giving you exclamation points, just close iTunes, browse to the shared location in finder, and restart itunes, and it should be able to find everything. it won't kill the location associated with your music.

the ~ stands for your home folder. so basically you just want to replace the default iTunes folder with the alias.