iTunes on Mapped Network Drive -> Windows to Mac OSX Migration

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BlueArctos, Jul 15, 2007.

1. BlueArctos macrumors member

I understand questions similar to the following have been asked relentlessly (I would know, as I've been searching through them for awhile), however I believe my question introduces some fresh caveats.

My iTunes library file is located on a Windows XP Pro computer. That is to say that the iTunes Library.itl/iTunes Music Library.xml files are located within C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\. Connected to the network is a Buffalo Terastation Pro with 100 GB of music. The Windows XP Pro machine is configured such that one of the Terastation's shares is a mapped network drive (in this case, \\Terastation\Media\ is mapped as drive Y: ). I've spent over 50 hours properly organizing the iTunes library file (manually adding CD covers, fixing ancient/improper titles, artists, albums, and more). iTunes is set NOT to keep the iTunes music folder organized because I have things in a certain, necessary order.

A new MacBook Pro is on its way. In the past if I wanted to share the library with another Windows computer on the network, I'd simply make sure to map the share as drive Y: on the new machine and copy over the .xml/.itl files. To my knowledge, OSX has no similar system for mapping network shares... more importantly, it does not utilize drive letters.

Is there anything I can do to share my current library with my new MacBook Pro? Am I stuck with a beautifully organized iTunes library only available to Windows machines?

Thanks,
    BlueArctos

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well you'll have to start by networking the Mac with the PC. Once that's done, hold OPTION as you open iTunes and select the library on the mounted network drive. :)

3. BlueArctos thread starter macrumors member

Wow! And it'll work, just like that? (Just to verify - this is under the assumption that the library configuration file is on the desktop computer while the actual music files are on the TeraStation, right?)

Would it be possible to copy my iTunes library configuration (xml/itl) files over to the MacBook Pro instead?

For example,
    Scenario: The TeraStation Pro is online 24/7, but the desktop computer with the iTunes library configuration files (xml/itl) on it is only online a few hours per day. The MacBook Pro is online all the time. The user of the MacBook Pro wishes to listen to music on the Terastation. What does he do?

4. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    EDIT: Ah, looks like MJ had an answer.

~ CB

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Well, what I would do is move the 2 library files to the network drive, and then when you get your mac, connect the network drive, open up iTunes with the option key pressed and then select the library file, and you should be all set.

6. BlueArctos thread starter macrumors member

How do the XML/ITL files refer to file paths? Because everything is currently prefixed with "Y:\" within the XML file, am I going to have issues?

I just can't believe it's as simple as you've described.

Maybe I need to have more faith in the Mac?

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I have no guarantee it'll work, but it's the simplest potential solution, so it's worth a try before you resort to more complex methods.

8. BlueArctos thread starter macrumors member

Hrm, LifeHacker sheds some light on the issue:

In this case, all I'll need to do is mount the Terastation share, do a Find & Replace for the location, and follow with the directions you've given me (option + click iTunes).

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll let you know how things turn out!