iTunes on non-ATT RAZRs?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ingenious, Sep 21, 2007.

1. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    Is it possible to copy the iTunes application from a ATT (Cingular) RAZR to an Alltel or Verizon RAZR (v3a)?

2. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) T-Mobile Dash)

I wont say its not possible but im sure it will nevr happen. Unless its some super watered down version.

3. ingenious thread starter macrumors 65832

ingenious

Well, that's what's on certain at&t mobiles, but it does synchronize with iTunes... which is nice.

4. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I believe its possible go to motomodders.net they should have a hacked itunes app you can load onto razrs

5. ingenious thread starter macrumors 65832

ingenious

I used their search and couldn't find anything, but I just posted a new thread about it over there, so hopefully something will turn up.

I've also tried maxedmobiles.com.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You will not be able to get it onto a verizon RAZR since they put their own OS onto their phones, other companies I don't know about though.

7. ingenious thread starter macrumors 65832

ingenious

Well, that's a good sign, then. Mine's from Alltel.

8. milk242 macrumors 6502a

try themotoguide.com also and use one of the p2k programs to access the system files on the phone, one of those programs should be able to add the itunes program to your razr i think only if your razr still uses the motorola OS

9. ingenious thread starter macrumors 65832

ingenious

Okay, first off.. is there an OS X p2k application? So far I haven't seen one.

Second, this means I'll need access to a RAZR V3i, right, to move the application?

thanks (i've never hacked a phone before, so this is completely new... so I'll be back once I need to start :) )

Okay, so I think I might have found the right version.

A question, though. Is the RAZR version of iTunes built in Java? I don't think my V3a supports Java... ugh. This could be bad.

10. ingenious thread starter macrumors 65832

ingenious

Ok, so even though I've found iTunes (hacked to support 1000 songs!), my phone does not support Java; it supports BREW.

No fear! :rolleyes: I've found several places that mention that IBM developed a JVM for BREW. However, I haven't been able to locate this.

Any ideas?

Also, what about a Java App loader once we get this sorted out? Do I need that or will I be able to BT the .jar/.jad file to the phone?

When I try to send either one to the phone via BT (I can't get BitPim or Moto4lin to recognize my phone... help is always appreciated!), everything goes fine (I even get a coffee cup icon on the phone) until it's time to receive the file. Then the phone tells me it's not supported.

The icon makes me think that Java support is just disabled by Alltel.

----

Basically all I want is for my phone to show up in iTunes. Protected songs would be simply a plus.

11. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I would try to find a computer that runs windows XP to do your razr hacking and usually you'll need an app loader.

12. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I forgot to ask this but why would you want itunes on your razr since it doesn't have expandable memory and I wouldn't think the onboard memory would be much space either?

13. ingenious thread starter macrumors 65832

ingenious

Oh, a few songs would be nice and the ability to sync with iTunes is much better than BT'ing all of my songs to the phone (which is better than paying 2.50 for them again...).

14. jnrdata macrumors newbie

I have modded many phones in the past (mostly Motorola V3's all versions), I haven't done too much with them lately due to getting my iPhone modded, but the version of itunes that is in the V3i is down deep in the core of the phone's O/S. We couldn't get the app to run on the non itunes v3i's,( there are two different versions) The app will install onto the phone but will not run and usually locks up the phone. There is a java app called DAP (Digital Audio Player) that works really well for playing music. There is also an app that makes song library control really easy to upload onto the phone I'll look up the name and post it. It will sync with the cable instead of BTing to your phone or you could take the memery card out and use a card reader for fastest transfers. Hope this helps

15. ingenious thread starter macrumors 65832

ingenious

thanks!

16. jnrdata macrumors newbie

17. sbluetruck macrumors regular

sbluetruck

this is why i was smart and bought the T-Mobile RAZR V3t.
    it's got a sweeeeeeet spun metal finish and design, has a Java audio player, micro sd and a supierior camera compared to other RAZR's (or is it RAZR'z???).

i just wish i could use a German T-Mobile iPhone. Ich kann Deutsch sprachen...