iTunes on PC best practices for media and library?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MaxBurn, Jun 8, 2011.

1. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Recently restored the computer and lost my whole itunes library. I have all my actual media on d:\itunes but the library that it references everything from is apparently stored on C: somewhere and got wiped out. No data lost but annoying setup ahead.

Question:
    If I create a new library (using the shift + launch itunes) in location D:\itunes\library and I have all my actual itunes media in D:\itunes will I be able to just deauthorize the computer and wipe out C:\ in the future?

In theory I would then be able to just install itunes and shift + launch, point it to my library and have it restore everything the way it was, correct? That is my goal anyway.

Trying to understand this article and I think I have it.
    http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/moving-your-itunes-library-to-a-new-hard-drive/

2. MaxBurn thread starter macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Let me put it this way, what else besides the media folder and the library folder do I need to back up?

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

That website has good explanations. In Windows, the itunes folder and library is located the My Documents>My Music. Only thing left would be iOS backups, but there's no harm in losing those and starting with fresh backups really.

4. MaxBurn thread starter macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I wish I had read and understood that first, too bad I erased my library folder. I guess I won't be syncing my devices until I have itunes all settled down again.