iTunes on SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by TheDill, Oct 29, 2011.

1. TheDill macrumors newbie

I just got my new MBA and was wondering if it would be a good idea to put my itunes library on my MBA or just keep it on an external hard drive? My library is only about 17GB and I currently have around 45GB of space left on my MBA hard drive. Will that take up too much of my memory or slow it down or anything? Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

A 17GB iTunes library will take up 17GB out of the 45GB you have free, nothing more, nothing less.
    You will then have 28GB left on your MBA, if that is enough for you, then go for it.
    But there is no problem using an external HDD.

Btw, "memory" is not the same as "hard drive capacity":
    What is Computer Memory? RAM vs Hard Drive
    RAM vs. Hard Disk

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Putting it on an external drive would actually make iTunes run slower, so if you don't need that hard drive space, it's better to have it on the SSD. But as your collection grows, and as you get other programs you want to run on your MacBook, it's likely that you'll eventually start running short on space, in which case you would have to move it to an external drive.

4. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I have around 10GB in iTunes, so I just keep it on the Air. With a smaller library, if you have the space, there's no harm in keeping it on there. If you're worried that you may want that space later on, why not put it all on, then weed through and delete music that you don't really really want with you all the time?

5. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

You could always put only the actual library index as well as the album artwork cache onto the SSD. In my case, that requires about 1GB of space for ~9000 songs.

Whether the audio files are on an HDD or SSD doesn't really make a difference performance-wise.

6. Brandon0448 macrumors 6502

Brandon0448

I have 80 gb of music on my Air. But thats one of the reasons I got the 256.

7. jackiepie macrumors newbie

You are smart.

8. summitRun macrumors regular

Yes, he/she is! There is no reason to keep your iTunes music files on SSD when you could put it all on external or better yet USB flash (depending on size limitations) and not suffer anything other than convenience. Whats nice about USB is if you dedicate one solely to music you wont ever wonder what else is on there...and its easily thrown into your bag, pocket etc.

9. ZipZap macrumors 601

I keep almost everything on my MBA. I do offload movies and TV shows to my external drive when I have viewed them.

If I could easily tell active APPs from inactive, I'd probably offload those as well.