iTunes on Synology NAS - MBA always asking for location

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BrianInLA, Feb 7, 2015.

1. BrianInLA macrumors member

BrianInLA

Hi everyone -

I have a Macbook Air with my iTunes library stores on a Synology NAS. Whenever I open iTunes I get a pop-up asking me to choose where my iTunes library is stored. I then have to navigate Finder to my NAS and pick the appropriate file.

Any way to make this action the default or automatic?

Thanks in advance.

2. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I think you need iTunes preference setting to tell where the library is.

Advanced tab and look for "iTunes Media folder location" click the change button then you can point it to your drive.

Good luck.

3. jdelgado macrumors regular

Do you have the NAS volume where iTunes is mounted before you launch iTunes?
    If you want it automatic, you can have the volume mount automatically at login.

4. BrianInLA thread starter macrumors member

BrianInLA

Thanks for the reply - looks like the location is there - but I think the problem is that if I click on iTunes it makes me select the location. So it's always going to look like it's pointed to the right location once I get into iTunes.

http://imgur.com/jUFn7nn

Hmmmm I might not understand this. Sorry. Can you elaborate?

5. jdelgado macrumors regular

I mean that the NAS must show up in your Mac as a volume; icon is similar as a hard disk (if you have appropriate preferences in Finder). Specifically, you need to have available/mounted the volume where your iTunes library resides.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Where do you have the 2 iTunes library (iTunes library.xml and iTunes library.itl) file stored at? I believe they need to be stored locally and then all your music content on the NAS.

7. BrianInLA thread starter macrumors member

BrianInLA

Gotcha - Synology mounts seamlessly every time I am at home. Shows up in Finder without a hitch.

Hmmmm, well I actually have all those files stored on the Synology - both the .xml and the .itl files, in addition to the actual music. Apparently this is the problem?

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

But does it mount prior to you starting iTunes?

9. BrianInLA thread starter macrumors member

BrianInLA

Yep - I can click see it in Finder and navigate around the Synology all the time. Just when I start iTunes do I need to point to the specific file.

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Not really asking if you can see the Synology once it is mounted, more along the lines of:

Start computer
    Mount Synology
    Start iTunes
    iTunes finds folder

If you start iTunes before you mount the network drive located on your Synology it won't know where to find the folders and media files.

Also check your iTunes and make sure under "Preference>>Advanced>>iTunes Media Folder Location" the location is set to your Synology folder.

11. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

yes thats correct so that iTunes can find them. If not, it will go to internal SSD/HDD. :apple: