Itunes on two computers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macman43, Jul 4, 2009.

1. macman43 macrumors newbie

Yesterday we bought my sister a brand new MacBook Pro for college only problem is all of our itunes music is stored on the iMac at home and she will be 100 miles away so I need to keep a synced copy on her MacBook Pro so that she can sync it to her iphone. My first thought was to move all the music on to my dropbox but I have around 20 gigs so I would need to pay $99 for 50 gigs of space. Any suggestions on a better way to do this would be great I tried a search but did not get anything thanks in advance for any help

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You could transfer all of your current music onto her computer by using her computer in Target Disk Mode (start the computer and then hold the 'T' key with a firewire cable connecting your computers). And then as you buy music, upload it to a website such as www.gigasize.com so that she can download it. (You may want to check the terms of service of the website to see if it is allowed, however.)

3. geekindisguise macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

Maybe you could have a Server with all the Music on it, but I dont know how you would get iTunes to take music off of the Internet.
    Or you could use LogMeIn's Hamachi. Then you would just share the folder that the music is all in.
    Hamachi will make the two macs act like they are on a local network.
    Thats all I can think of. :rolleyes:
    Good luck

4. macman43 thread starter macrumors newbie

the server idea made me think i have a nas at home that has ftp is there anyway to get the mac to mount it at startup and the point itunes at it would that be a good idea

5. Mr.Bullitt macrumors regular

There is no way to sync itunes config and accounts on 2 computers???

I have problems with iTunes 8.2 on my Vista PC, it freezes all the time - I also need to transfer all this setup to my MBP :D

6. RSW macrumors member

RSW

I also am trying to figure this out. I have an office iMac and an Air, and want to have my iPhone synced with all my music.

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

For your setup you may want to try syncOtunes. Or for a more thorough sync try ChronoSync. Though I can not attest to either products reliability. As any synchronizing I do is manual.

Since I never had to worry about a laptop I used to have a main computer with the iTunes library. For myself and my roomates we only used that computer for purchasing music or adding CD's. On all the other computers I changed the iTunes music folder to the main computers. Simply by mounting the network volume then selecting the iTunes Music folder on the server.

Then on each computer I would simply move the iTunes Library database file and replace its respective database file. I would do this every 1 to 2 months when music was added. Mainly since we did not add much music after inputting all of our massive CD binders, and saving then readding each persons playlists was also a pain.

On each machine automatic update was disabled to make sure each was running the same version. Only the server was allowed to organize the library. I did this instead of iTunes sharing since I wanted each computer to be able to burn CD's and make playlist's

As to the OP's idea for FTP from your NAS that could work for allowing your sister to grab the new songs. However, you will need a static ip address from your ISP and tweak your routers firewall to open the appropriate ports to your NAS. Your sister should then be able to access the files by typing the NASes address into an FTP program like Cyberduck. Then add the songs to her library once copied to her Mac. Though all of this would be a lot of fuss.

Personally I would just copy over the 'Music' folder. Which should have your current database file, artwork and all of your music. Then when she comes to visit just use a program like syncOtunes to synchronize your libraries. Be sure to save your playlists incase the synchronizing software does not synchronize the database files.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

5 dvd disks cost less than a dollar. Plus postage and envelope = $2 or $3.

9. Mr.Bullitt macrumors regular

is there really no config file which keeps track of podcast subscriptions that you can copy and transfer???

:confused: