iTunes on two Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by parish, Apr 29, 2012.

1. parish macrumors 65816

parish

Like many, I'm waiting for the new Ivy Bridge MBPs to come out and when I get one my wife will be having my current one.

We only have a single Apple ID and use iCloud/iTunes Match. Currently my iPhone and the ATV sync using Match but her iPhone and the iPad sync with iTunes on the MBP.

When we have two Macs what is the best way to configure/use iTunes? We will want all music on both Macs but how do I go about keeping everything in sync? Will the two Macs sync via iCloud? What about syncing the two devices that don't use iCloud? Can they sync to either Mac (assuming both Macs sync with each other)?

Also, what about photos? Currently they are synced from the Aperture library, but that will not be installed on her MBP, only mine.

2. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

If you only get new music through iTunes you can simply copy the music files and iTunes library to the new machine, sign in with the same Apple ID and select the preference to automatically download new material purchased on other devices.

In my opinion there is no really great way to share an iTunes library.

3. mpau0516 macrumors newbie

Sharing an iTunes Library

The best way to share an iTunes library (ie, listen on both macs) is to copy the Library to a shared folder, where everyone has access to it. The go to the prefs in iTunes, and change the library file to the shared file. Then both you and her can DL music, and it would be in one place.

4. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

This completely breaks for the person who doesn't have the files locally when the source machine is turned off or the machines are on different networks. I assume, since both machines are laptops, that they will frequently be separated.

5. parish thread starter macrumors 65816

parish

Yes, I get music through iTunes - apps are bought on the iPhones etc. But how would this work with syncing the iPhones & iPad? Could I sync to either MBP or would/should I only use one?

As ezramoore replied, it wouldn't work as both are laptops so aren't both necessarily around at the same time.

6. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

You would sync to only one as each computer would technically be its own 'library' even though it contains exactly the same content. What I would recommend is WiFi syncing setup to the computer that is home the most. There isn't a lot that you need to sync iOS devices for these days.

7. parish thread starter macrumors 65816

parish

So, to make sure I've got this right (assuming that I am using my MBP as the "master")

Copy the iTunes from mine to my wife's MBP
    Enter my Apple ID in iTunes on hers
    Set hers to automatically d/l purchases on other devices
    Do all the syncing of iDevices on my MBP

Is that correct?

Thanks for the help everyone

8. waynep macrumors 6502

Why not use iTunes Home Sharing? I am using that with my MBP and my wife's.

She can select and copy the music she wants. Anything we buy new is automatically downloaded to both machines when they are available. I like it.

9. parish thread starter macrumors 65816

parish

When you say she can copy does that mean she has her own iTunes library that only contains the tracks she's copied from yours?

I use Home Sharing with my Apple TV but that's a bit different as it doesn't have local storage.

10. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

You got it!

Home sharing would be good if you two wanted to maintain to libraries with different music (ie part of the entire body of purchased work).

11. waynep macrumors 6502

I have the "master" library with everything on my MBP. My wife can see my library and copy over what she wants. So she essentially has her own library that is a subset of mine. Any new music that I buy, will be automatically copied to her machine the next time both of us have iTunes up and running. She could also buy music on her machine and it will auto-copy to mine.

This allows us to have one iTunes account, and we can share everything we buy. I have an iPad and an iPod. She has an iPod and iPhone. So everything we have is fair game for all the mobile devices.

For our use, it's great.