iTunes on Windows - strangeness

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sjwk, Jun 11, 2012.

1. sjwk macrumors member

Here's an oddity. I installed iTunes onto a new W7 x64 machine here in the office and while it works fine and syncs to my iPad, it has a couple of little quirks.

The first, I've seen mention of elsewhere on both Windows and Mac, but haven't experienced myself on any other machines, either at home or work: iTunes sometimes will not quit. I eject/disconnect the iPad (if it is connected) and close the window and after a second or two it just comes back up again and (if it is connected) starts syncing the iPad again, or just sits there if it isn't. You can close the application as much as you like, it will most often just come back over and over. Eventually have to use task manager to kill the process, which then stops it.

The second is very weird and haven't seen anywhere else. If I browse into a folder anywhere on the PC named 'iTunes', iTunes will magically launch. Initially I discovered this by browsing into the iTunes folder in Program Files but since found that just by creating an empty folder anywhere on any hard disk on the PC and naming it 'iTunes', then going into that folder in Explorer will launch iTunes. I cannot recreate this on any other PC, including my old PC that I moved my iTunes profile from. I have also tried completely deleting my iTunes profile and creating a new one (which did cause hassle with synchronizing to the iPad and took several goes of copying all of my apps off and on again before it was happy!).

I haven't yet tried uninstalling/reinstalling iTunes on the new PC, partly as I quite like the quirks, but wondered if anyone else had ever experienced either of these?

No other software installed that is configured to run iTunes via a hotkey, or any other weird software (other than Windows) - certainly nothing that isn't on other computers that don't do this.

2. RUGERMAN macrumors regular

Why do we have all these windows questions on this forum. Call Mr Gates.

3. sjwk thread starter macrumors member

Because of course, someone who hasn't been the head of Microsoft for years is the best point of contact for an Apple application issue? ;)

Perhaps this forum wasn't the best place for s a Windows question, but as there doesn't appear to be a forum for questions on applications written by Apple, I felt it was the most appropriate?

Would you prefer it under Apple Hardware or IOS then? Given that iTunes is needed to talk to Apple devices that run IOS?

4. RUGERMAN macrumors regular

I know we have many on this forum that run both platforms but I would think a windows question belongs where there are primarily windows users. On the other hand I know I don't have to read them. LOL