Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrmeister

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Hi,

I've recently bought a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 and am really enjoying it. When i'm not using it for recording, I keep it connected to my speakers as it gives a better output than that of the 3.5mm headphone jack (for an aux in to my speakers).

I was just wondering if there was any way that i could get ONLY iTunes out of the external sound card so that all my sounds from other apps like Mail and Safari etc. would come through my Macbook Pro's speakers? I just don't like it when I get the big air rush sound coming through my speakers when an email is sent using Mail, and then other little bleeps from everything else are quite annoying too.

I have attached an image of how my sound is currently configured using the Audio MIDI setup.

Thanks in advance
mrmeister

Attachments

• Sound Card Properties.jpg
    Sound Card Properties.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 154

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
In your iTunes, near the bottom right of the window, there should be a dropdown to select the speakers that iTunes uses. Does your external sound card appear on that list?

mrmeister

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2010
In your iTunes, near the bottom right of the window, there should be a dropdown to select the speakers that iTunes uses. Does your external sound card appear on that list?

No, i only have "show or hide iTunes sidebar" and "Start Genius". I don't have the speaker list, isn't that only when using airtunes?

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
You're right, I assumed incorrectly that other sound cards would appear in that list. My apologies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.