iTunes opens itself

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marissare, Dec 11, 2014.

1. marissare macrumors newbie

I've already read a ton of threads about this, but none of the fixes seem to apply or work. iTunes started opening itself about a month ago. It happens whether I'm typing a document, reading email or just have the computer on and I'm not touching anything. When it opens, whatever app I'm using moves over to the left and iTunes opens fullscreen.

Already ruled out (based on suggestions from other threads):
    - I don't have external speakers or an external keyboard. The problem happens whether I have headphones plugged in or not. I checked that my headphones were firmly plugged in.
    -I don't have iPhones, iPods, iPads, etc. This is the only Apple device I have.
    - It doesn't open on login/startup, and iTunes is not listed under my login items.
    -I'm not running any iTunes widgets.
    -I use Chrome and don't have any media widgets.
    -iTunes isn't my default media player.
    -There are no P2P apps installed.
    -I checked that my play/pause button isn't stuck.

I'm new to Mac so I'm sure there must be something I'm missing. Can anyone think of a fix?

2. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

Maybe check your keyboard shortcuts, there may be some key combo in there that you're hitting accidentally? Also, how often does this happen?

3. marissare thread starter macrumors newbie

It happens roughly once a week, but that one incident can involve iTunes opening itself (and me quitting it) two or three times in a row.

As far as shortcuts, I don't see anything involving iTunes or media.

4. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

Is Bluetooth turned on?
    Do you have any BT devices near that you have paired with your PC earlier?

5. marissare thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem solved

I just figured it out. I've been using the headphones that came with my Galaxy S5, which have a volume control toggle and a pause/play button. Since the volume control button doesn't affect my Macbook, I never considered that the pause/play button worked. I just tried to pause a song with the button, forgetting that I wasn't using my phone, and iTunes opened. I think I found the culprit!

Thanks for your help!