Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you get your music for your iPhone?

• iTunes

Votes: 66 55.9%
  • Limewire

Votes: 17 14.4%
  • Other free music download service

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • Other paid music download service

Votes: 10 8.5%

• Total voters

MAClover143

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Long Island, NY
Do you guys use iTunes, Limewire, or any other service to dl your music?

I heard that if you do not download from iTunes the other songs may have viruses and harm your iphone- has anyone else heard/experienced this?

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Songs from P2P networks can have virus...because your downloading files from other random people on the internet.

However things like Amazon's MP3 store is fine for iPods(as well as other music players)

Oh and fyi in this poll

free=illegal ;)

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
Likley if you download illegal music you will get a Virus on your Windows PC which as a result could harm your iPhone...

That said... don't steal music!

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
Boo! Stealing music is wrong!

I get a little more than half my music from iTunes, and the rest from CD's.

Keep It Legal Kids

I think the only way to do that would be to wrap the .exe file with a mpeg file, and it pretty uncommon. At least that's what I've heard as well.

Don't forget that the applications themselves can cause problems with all the "free" stuff they install. Some of my younger cousins used to use all these Kazaa and Limewire style apps in Windows and they're computers turned into a joke. The amount of times I was called over to remove crap (especially random popups) was ridiculous and some of which couldn't be removed without completely reinstalling Windows. Not to mention the effects of some dodgy "music" files.

Thankfully they've learned their lesson now but they learned it the hard way.

I agree with what some people have already said about illegally downloading music / films / software. A lot of people nowadays think that pirating music is somehow "cool" and "okay" cos everyone else they know does it. It isn't cool to take a product or service, that someone's taken time and effort to create, without paying for it. Anyone who does so should give up their wage at the place they work and see how it feels. :eek:

Not only that but people who DO pay for these products legally are essentially subsidising those who don't. </Rant>

gonyr

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2006
Niagara County, NY
Sometimes limewire to check stuff out. Then, if it's any good, buy the CD and rip it to itunes. I guess I'm so old that I still feel the need to purchase something to put into a machine and listen to.

Paul S

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
I'd probably get something like Napster or another music provider that gets you unlimited downloads for ~$15/month. Seems totally worth it to me.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
I get mine from iTunes (or cd's) but do believe that you have to pay for your music (or any other content)

Fontenette Yo!

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Back in the day I used Napster. I remember one day I went to download something and it told me that Napster is currently unavailable and would be back soon. I gave up on music downloading for awhile after that until itunes came out. itunes for life. Plus I know someone who had to pay fines for downloading mass quantities of illegal music.

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

If you really must download "free" music avoid limewire. Use torrents they are far more reliable.

mm1250

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2007
aaah, I don't remember using Limewire before but back when I was upto 17 or so I used to use Napster and Kazaaz. I now just buy all my music as i'm much older now and do feel a little sorry for the artists. Gotta love those Napster days ineed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.