iTunes or Limewire

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MAClover143, Jun 19, 2008.

?

How do you get your music for your iPhone?

1. iTunes

66 vote(s)
    55.9%
  2. Limewire

17 vote(s)
    14.4%
  3. Other free music download service

25 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Other paid music download service

10 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. MAClover143 macrumors member

Do you guys use iTunes, Limewire, or any other service to dl your music?

I heard that if you do not download from iTunes the other songs may have viruses and harm your iphone- has anyone else heard/experienced this?

2. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

you should add an option for both in the poll

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Songs from P2P networks can have virus...because your downloading files from other random people on the internet.

However things like Amazon's MP3 store is fine for iPods(as well as other music players)

Oh and fyi in this poll

free=illegal ;)

4. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Likley if you download illegal music you will get a Virus on your Windows PC which as a result could harm your iPhone...

That said... don't steal music!

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

What happened to going to your local record store and ripping them onto your computer. I'm kidding, though that should be an option.

6. yode macrumors 6502

7. slicecom macrumors 68020

I don't pay money for DRM'd music or mp3's under 256kbps. I buy my music on CD, then rip it in 256kbps AAC to iTunes.

8. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Stealing music and other copyrighted material is a "Crime!" "And crime don't pay! :cool:

10. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure it's impossible to get a virus from a mp3 file.

11. aethelbert macrumors 601

Just because something is advertised as an audio file doesn't mean that it is one.

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I think the only way to do that would be to wrap the .exe file with a mpeg file, and it's pretty uncommon. At least that's what I've heard as well.

13. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Boo! Stealing music is wrong!

I get a little more than half my music from iTunes, and the rest from CD's.

14. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Keep It Legal Kids

Don't forget that the applications themselves can cause problems with all the "free" stuff they install. Some of my younger cousins used to use all these Kazaa and Limewire style apps in Windows and they're computers turned into a joke. The amount of times I was called over to remove crap (especially random popups) was ridiculous and some of which couldn't be removed without completely reinstalling Windows. Not to mention the effects of some dodgy "music" files.

Thankfully they've learned their lesson now but they learned it the hard way.

I agree with what some people have already said about illegally downloading music / films / software. A lot of people nowadays think that pirating music is somehow "cool" and "okay" cos everyone else they know does it. It isn't cool to take a product or service, that someone's taken time and effort to create, without paying for it. Anyone who does so should give up their wage at the place they work and see how it feels. :eek:

Not only that but people who DO pay for these products legally are essentially subsidising those who don't. </Rant>

15. gonyr macrumors 6502

Sometimes limewire to check stuff out. Then, if it's any good, buy the CD and rip it to itunes. I guess I'm so old that I still feel the need to purchase something to put into a machine and listen to.

16. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Think this thread needs moved. Not sure how this is related to iPhone.

17. Paul S macrumors regular

I'd probably get something like Napster or another music provider that gets you unlimited downloads for ~$15/month. Seems totally worth it to me.

18. Pandora01 macrumors regular

Only 6 people here get their music primarily from Limewire? Right. :rolleyes:

19. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

I get mine from iTunes (or cd's) but do believe that you have to pay for your music (or any other content)

20. Hustle macrumors 6502a

Another reason Mac's own PC's. No Virus's from Limewire.

I use iTunes.

21. Fontenette Yo! macrumors regular

Fontenette Yo!

Back in the day I used Napster. I remember one day I went to download something and it told me that Napster is currently unavailable and would be back soon. I gave up on music downloading for awhile after that until itunes came out. itunes for life. Plus I know someone who had to pay fines for downloading mass quantities of illegal music.

22. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

If you really must download "free" music avoid limewire. Use torrents they are far more reliable.

23. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

The majority of my music is ripped from CDs I owned. Most of the rest is from iTunes.

24. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Since I DJ I'm subscribed to a few services mostly free and actually 1 of them I pay for.

25. mm1250 macrumors 6502

aaah, I don't remember using Limewire before but back when I was upto 17 or so I used to use Napster and Kazaaz. I now just buy all my music as i'm much older now and do feel a little sorry for the artists. Gotta love those Napster days ineed.