iTunes Organisation

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by madmusician, Jan 16, 2012.

1. madmusician macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

One of my New Year's Resolutions was to sort out the clutter on my HDD from my Windows days, so I've imported all my music into iTunes, photos into iPhoto and so on.

Just one question - I don't want all the music I've imported into iTunes to sync with my iPhone, so I've unticked the stuff that I don't want to sync across. Only problem is that when playing the tracks on the computer iTunes jumps to the next ticked song on the playlist rather than the one below it if it is unticked. Is there a way to turn off this setting in iTunes, or is there a better way for me to tell it what to sync to the phone?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

2. DavoteK macrumors 6502

When you plug your iPhone in to sync with iTunes, click your iPhone (under Devices) and then you'll see a "Music" tab. Click that and select artists, albums, playlists or genres that you'd like to sync to your iPhone.

That way you can create standard playlists so you can drag songs to it and those will be synced to your iPhone. Far easier to manage than the painstaking task of ticking and unticking stuff.

Syncing smart playlists is pretty cool as well, getting your best rated songs (you should see My Top Rated) and most played songs on your phone increases the chances of not feeling the need to skip.

Once you see what I'm on about, it will be pretty straight forward.

3. madmusician thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - I think I'll have a play with some smart playlists and see what happens.

Ticking and unticking worked when there wasn't much music I didn't want on the phone, but there's just too much now.

Thanks for the advice!

4. DavoteK macrumors 6502

Yeah, when I first started using iTunes way back, I used to use the ticking method. Only imported about 10 albums, so it was fine. Now up to about 20k tracks, so it'd become a full time job to tick and untick that lot haha