itunes organisation

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xemino, Oct 11, 2009.

1. xemino Guest

howdy,

i currently move new music in the music folder and scan manually.
    is there a way that itunes won't change the folder name and import anything in the folder? because last time i tried to auto-import, itunes renamed the folder and moved the .sfv and .nfo files.

another question: i have more music on a external hd. what is a good solution to handle music in two different places? how do you guys sync music between hd's?

cheers

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can manage your music files and folders yourself, and iTunes won't change anything, by leaving these two boxes in Preferences unchecked:
    Picture 1.jpg

As for music on an external drive, just add the folder that contains that music to iTunes (File > Add to Library).

3. xemino thread starter Guest

yeah, that's what i'm currently doing. but this way i have to scan manually every time i add something and if i remove files, they still stay in the library...
    this sucks.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, if you delete files from iTunes instead of Finder, they won't be in the library. Yes, you do have to add music when you add some to the folder, but that's a simple process. I use a folder called "New Stuff" where I put new files to add them. Once I've added them and changed tag info the way I want it, I move them to the Genre > Artist > Album folder that I want. You could also just add your entire Music folder each time you put something in it. iTunes will only add music that doesn't already exist in the library. It won't add the same files twice.