iTunes/permissions frakked up after using migration assistant.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by benfilan, Oct 3, 2010.

1. benfilan macrumors 6502

benfilan

Ok, bought a new Macbook pro to replace my battered Macbook and used migration assistant to transfer all my crap across.

Everything worked perfectly, so far so good.

Problems: programs that save things (like transmission, realplayer downloader) have stopped working - getting errors because apparently they aren't able to write to folders (?). i tried reinstalling the program and that didn't help. I know from being google detective that this is a permissions problem, but I'm not quite sure what that means or how to fix it. When I get info on the folder in question the permissions say 'read and write' - I assume that's correct?

iTunes: installed iTunes 10, all good, iPhone sync-ed a few times, then stopped. Downloaded iTunes x2 and reinstalled, iPhone synced a few times and then stopped - when I plug it into the MBP it does the little chirp but doesn't appear under devices and so won't sync.

Few niggles, hoping someone can help. Thanks!

2. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Did you go into disk utility and try to "repair disk permissions" on your harddrive? Repair permissions is the first thing I do upon any update or installing a new program.

[​IMG]

Run it and report back to us.

3. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Of importance, home folder permissions are not repaired by disk utility.

You can reset them by booting to the Install DVD and running the Password Utility. From there you can reset home permissions for a user. Since you migrated, it sounds like home folder issues.

4. benfilan thread starter macrumors 6502

benfilan

This seems to have worked, thankyou!

I had tried fixing permissions using onyx but clearly that didn't work. Thanks for the tip!

5. benfilan thread starter macrumors 6502

benfilan

The iTunes problem has raised it's ugly head again, iPhone chirps when plugged in, but doesn't appear under devices in iTunes and doesn't sync.

I'll try using the install DVD to fix home folder permissions and hopefully that'll work.